TheBanyanTree: Borderland, January 6, 2004

Monique monique.ybs at verizon.net
Thu Jan 6 12:02:12 PST 2005

I called the Associated Provider Network today to see how to get Stew in the
system. Turns out, though he currently has state medical coupons, they're
just that . . . state. GAU coupons. He needs the GAX coupons, which are
federally funded. Okay. So we need to contact DSHS to see about getting him
on GAX instead of GAU so he can be entered into the Associated Provider
Network so he can get more services that he needs. His GAU coupons are for
medical and don't include mental illness. Well then. Considering that the
entire reason he's on coupons at all is because he's mentally ill . . . the
woman I talked to on the phone said it was good for him he had me. Sometimes
I worry about all the people who apparently don't have someone to look after
them. Based on the comments I get, it would appear that some people are out
there on their own, and that just ain't right. It's hard enough being ill
without being alone with it.

Sometimes the system is frustrating, isn't it? And of course his SSI
Disability was denied. The feds think he's perfectly capable of getting
himself a job as a dishwasher. We've appealed of course. I know there's a
way he can support himself, but it takes time, and we're working at it, and
meanwhile he needs to be able to live.

He's entering a depression. How this differs from normal is still unclear,
even to me, but that means it's worse. He's been having a lot of
hallucinations. Even saw me yesterday, on a street corner where I wasn't. I
don't know if he sees real people all that often. I mean, I think his
hallucinations are usually of people who don't exist, not people who do.

Yesterday evening he was at my apartment and said there were demons with us.
I didn't notice any myself, but I'm not particularly demon-sensitive. Honey
didn't seem to notice them either. And when Andrew came home later that
night he didn't seem to notice them either. But I believe him. He definitely
sees demons. For all I know, they may even be real demons.

Business has picked up a great deal in the past week or so, which is good,
since I had a major client back out on me last month and left me destitute
for Christmas. It's a new year, new beginnings, there are possibilities
everywhere. This is my busy season. And I intend to make the most of it.
(Imagine that -- me in demand!)

Monday is Stew's birthday. He'll be 34. I'm taking him out to Claim Jumpers
for dinner. A client/business associate gave me a gift card for Christmas,
and I haven't had a chance to take Stew there yet . . . he loves their
carrot cake.

So I'm off to do some work now, and take Stew shopping for groceries later.
We're all on a diet -- Stew, Andrew, and me by default. Can't hurt me to eat
better, and they both need to lose some weight. New Year's resolutions and
all that . . .

Monique