TheBanyanTree: Life without tv: was, Resolutions

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Sun Jan 2 16:33:15 PST 2005

Giving up tv.  A noble resolution. I gave it up easily, since out here in the
boonies, we have no cable, no dish. We have three channels, depending on the
blow of the wind. Sometimes it's two channels and snow, or one channel, snow,
and slivered people.

I used to watch L.A. Law and Judging Amy, and one where it was very forensic,
open bodies and clues in a single hair. Now, before bed, after checking on
the horses one more time, seeing why the goats are making such racket so late,
walking the pups one last time (unless they have to go out at midnight, or two
a.m.) I turn on the tv. I have my green tea and a snack, and watch . .snow.

It doesn't matter.  I find my days and evenings so full I don't have time for
tv anyway. I live like the pioneers of long ago, up at dawn, toil the day
long, and to bed soon after sun down.  I read more. We converse more. We play
games, one new one being something like Dominos, but with three-sided tiles. I
sleep well, unless the pups bark at some ungodly hour and I bleary-eyed take
them out to walk.

It's glorious at those hours between midnight an dawn.  The sky glitters, far
away from city's glow. We have more stars.  And, during one pre-dawn, as the
sky lightened and I heard the skyward screech, I looked up and watched a Bald
Eagle soaring in the morning's thermals. I stood at attention as though the
American flag was flying, so magnificent was the view.
 I finally saw the master of the huge nest at the tip-top of one of the pine
trees.

I don't have time for tv. I really don't miss it much at all.

NancyLee