TheBanyanTree: Borderland Diaries, 021205

Monique monique.ybs at verizon.net
Sat Feb 12 20:18:15 PST 2005

It's funny the things that occur to us as important. Stew's mom just let me
know that Stew become upset and frustrated when he couldn't get his computer
to work. He's doing wireless networking for the two computers at his
parent's house, one of which is his. It was working this morning. Then the
other one wasn't. Now his isn't.

She said he became upset, then did the "cutting thing," and feels better
now. This sort of behavior is not unexpected. Some people drink, some people
make little incisions along their arms. Whatever, we all have our coping
mechanisms, right? This is the first time he's cut since he took up
residence there though, so I'm sure it was an interesting experience for
them.

Then she said he was very responsible, he cleaned the knife afterwards.
Well, yes, he always does. He cleans it before, and he cleans it when he's
done. What'd she think? He was some kind of maniac who would be wielding a
knife and leaving gore behind? She seemed a bit surprised that he was so
civilized about it.

Not only that, but he cleaned the cuts too afterwards. Well, duh. He doesn't
want his cuts to get infected and kill him, and he doesn't want to leave any
blood around. He's not a knife wielding maniac after all. Easy for me to
say, I know.

Yes, he disinfects his knife before he cuts, because he doesn't want to get
an infection, and he cleans everything up afterwards by himself because it
is his responsibility, and he wouldn't want anyone else to have to deal with
that. He's a responsible guy, after all. What? People think just because
someone's nuts they're not responsible anymore? Huh. Talk about stereotypes.