TheBanyanTree: Our City of Trees

B Drummond redd_clay at bellsouth.net
Sat Feb 12 12:38:22 PST 2005

[Note:  I wrote this originally sent it in to our local newspapers.
They printed it and I came across it the other day (my wife had saved a
copy of the newspaper article and put in the front of a book for
"safekeeping".  I don't remember exactly when I sent it but I do know
(from one reference in it) that it was prior to the second week of
September of 2001) ]

   When you've come into Sydney, Australia from overseas, it's easy to
remember the million and one terra cotta roof tops from the window seat
as the big bird you're riding in swoops down over the Sydney suburbs
during its approach to the airport.

   When you've come into Los Angeles you remember the brown cloud
hovering above the city and how you held your breath as long as you can
when descending into it on your first landing there.

   When you've come into Denver you remember the Rockies in the
background,  the Front Range in the foreground and how when they
depressurized the cabin upon landing that you felt no difference
because of being of the airport's altitude.

   When you come into Newark, or JFK, or LaGuardia airport, you remember
the twin towers of the World Trade Center and the hulking, murky
outline of the Gotham that is New York City.

    And when you come into Atlanta on a clear, late-spring day, you
remember the thousand shades of green, that of a jillion trees
encompassing the near environs of the world's busiest airport.

   And if Atlanta is your final destination, the end of your present
journey you're find that you're glad . . . very glad.

   In spite of the fact that you know the crowds and the traffic that
moves through the terminal corridors like steers on a stampede await
you, you smile, sitting in the plane in the plane watching those
beautiful trees waving back to you in the late spring breezes on your
descent.

   And as the flight attendant reminds you over a whining, buzzing PA,
in a hurried, harried voice, "Please do not forget to check to see that
you have all your valuables before you deplane," you find that you've
come home to your city of trees" and nothing, absolutely nothing shy of
an all out nuclear missile attack being underway can wipe that
ridiculous grin from your face.

bd
   -----