TheBanyanTree: Sad news at holiday time

Glo~ee burns.gloria at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 19:23:52 PST 2005

It had been a great week this week.  One of finishing up holiday odds
and ends, cheering those seemed a little glum, the playing of
Christmas Carols, and just enjoying the sense of joy that most seemed
to share.

In routine mode, I opened my e-mail and clicked through each message
reading, laughing, sighing, and then I read one from my brother Roger.
   At this moment, I don't know if I like computers and e-mail and the
hi-tech way of sharing our lives.  I've loved it til now.

Roger was contacted by another brother, Bill, who asked Roger to share
his sad news with the other three of us siblings.  Bill's been
diagnosed with stomach cancer and didn't want to burden us with the
news and especially not during the holidays.  Burden?  Family's aren't
burdened, are they?  I didn't think our family knew that word, as it's
never used.

So I sat stunned for a spell.  E-mails like those ignite the brain
which in turn pops question after question and possible answer after
possible answer until it's moving through the process like a
well-oiled machine.  We all know that machines eventually burn
themselves out.  It was at that point that I could respond.

I've telephoned Bill and get nothing but ring after ring.  No
answering machine, just a never-ending ring cycle.  Maybe that's a
good thing.  What kind of message would I leave anyway?  That question
leads to several possibilities; none of which I have to concern myself
with.  I'm thankful for that.

Bill is #2 of 5 siblings.  In days long gone, he was a 6' 5", 250#
Marine Sergeant.    My big brother and I do mean big.  He looked huge
to me, the younger sister by 12 years.  Shoot, I'm the youngest of the
5 and sometimes that just isn't easy.  Not nearly as easy as older
siblings would like to believe it always is for the "baby" of the
family.  Not nearly as easy at all.

So tonight I sit and read over the e-mails circling between 4 siblings
about the health of our 5th.  It's Christmas time and Christmas
memories aren't always good.

Thanks for listening to a rambling heart,

Gloria...the dreamer... dreamin' about days gone by and the
possiblities for the days ahead