TheBanyanTree: Jingle Bells

Margaret R. Kramer margaretkramer at comcast.net
Sun Dec 18 06:22:10 PST 2005

Yesterday was a real page turner in the sense that we got a lot done.  We
got the laundry done, the vacuuming done, I filled the birdfeeders (although
some have been raided by deer last night), I paid bills, got the
housekeepers’ Christmas tips and cards ready, and we went grocery shopping.
I managed to stay sane in the crowded store.  I don’t deal with crowds very
well.  We have all the food for our Christmas feast, except for the
ultra-rich, ultra-delicious candy cane pie from Baker’s Square.

We drove to the big city of Minneapolis in the evening.  The freeway was
thick with traffic, although there wasn’t any major event I could think of,
except there are a lot of holiday gatherings of various kinds going during
the weekend.

We had dinner at a restaurant called Vincent (named after the owner).  It is
French gourmet cooking and very good.  We’ve learned to appreciate more
sophisticated food from dining on cruises.  The restaurant is on the corner
and has large windows, so we were able to watch the Holidazzle parade again
while sipping coffee in a nice, warm environment.  I’m glad we went last
week when it was in the 30s rather than 0 as it was last night.

With full bellies, we walked across the street to Orchestra Hall and
listened to another great Christmas concert conducted by Doc Severinson.  He
had the usual suspects; bell ringers, the Minnesota Chorale, the Minnesota
Orchestra, and a big band.  Wow!

Since I was up late, I overslept a bit this morning.  It’s –4, the sky is
filling with pale sunlight, and it is very quiet.  Frost covers everything.
The snow lies heavy on the branches.

I could hear the cardinals’ “cheep, cheep” as I went out to get the papers
this morning.  Their songs are the only sounds that break the cold silence.
In a few weeks, the rest of the birds will join in, but right before the
winter solstice, only the cardinals sing.  The cardinals, the males’ bright
red and the females’ dull orange, are at the feeders as the sun rises and
also just after dusk.  These birds provide some much needed color in this
white world.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at comcast.net

http://www.bpwmn.org

Next to a circus there ain't nothing that packs up and tears out faster than
the Christmas spirit.
~Kin Hubbard