TheBanyanTree: Found Online

Monique monique.ybs at verizon.net
Sun Aug 28 11:37:47 PDT 2005

There's always something out there, online, that has a message for us in
one way or another. We find things, or they find us, sent to us by
online and offline conspirators, messages and pictures (which are worth,
last I heard, a thousand words) that suddenly mean something
significant.

I received one such picture last night.

The Killing Machine was in rare form yesterday. On her morning walk she
stumbled upon a cat. There are a great many cats running loose around
here, both pets and feral cats that live in the wildlife refuge in the
middle of our complex. Cats everywhere. I, fortunately, was not there,
but Andrew was.

Poor Andrew. I would not have wanted him to witness such an event.

Anyway, we steer her away from cats. We always keep her leashed in the
complex because of the proliferation of fun things to chase. (Off-leash
dog parks, for some reason, are remarkably devoid of little chaseable
creatures such as cats and squirrels.) So she was on a leash. But the
entered a heavily shaded area and didn't see the cat that was there . .
. until dog was close enough to cat to grab it.

And she did, because for some reason she's gotten it into her little
head that this is what she's supposed to do. Her handler was beside
himself as he tried to rescue the kitty (not technically, though if he
had been it might have been helpful as he could have used the help), as
he pulled the dog away (but dog had kitty firmly by the neck), as he,
hopefully, smacked the offending dog. Kitty escaped, and ran off, though
perhaps with a slight limp. Andrew looked for her, but could not find
her. Dog was chastised severely. (I'm not sure Dog cared, since she
enjoys a good cat chase.)

They came home. I heard about Dog's exploits and looked at her with
disgust. She smiled at me, pleased with herself as usual.

Then last night I received a picture from Stew that I had to show Dog.
It was so appropriate for the situation. You've probably seen it. Dog
had not.

Dog is rethinking her propensity for cats.

See below for the picture:

http://stopthatdog.blogspot.com/