TheBanyanTree: Life post Ariel

Laura wolfljsh at insightbb.com
Sat Apr 23 18:00:22 PDT 2005

As wonderful a dog as she was, she had really gotten weird.  I hadn't
realized how strange her behavior had become until we lived a day or two
without her.

(With some minor guilt) I actually feel relieved to have her gone.  Her
personality had changed drastically, but so gradually that we only
noticed it when she did something really strange.  We were always working
around her, not the other way.  Now that she is gone the other dogs,
though always there, are never in the way.  When I play tug of war with
Ziggy (I always get to win, eventually), it's just a game.  He never
snaps at my hand when he's going for the rope.  It might have been an
accident with Ariel, but it happened a lot.  If I try to step over Shilo,
she just lies there trustingly, never leaping up frantically and tripping
me up.  When I reach to pet Puck, he happily lets me pet him.  He never
cringes from my touch and pees the floor with fear.

That was no way for her to live.  She was a wonderful dog, and we'll miss
her young happy self, but we are glad that the sick, fearful dog she had
become is now at peace.

I want to thank all of you for your support and condolences the last
couple of days.  It was a great help to be able to write it out and purge
myself of the associated guilt.  It allowed me to go ahead and grieve for
her.

Wolfie
--
Laura