TheBanyanTree: Redneck Lawnmower Repair 101

B Drummond redd_clay at bellsouth.net
Wed Apr 13 13:19:00 PDT 2005

Last week I was on vacation and also on lawn mower repair duty.
Because I live in a family that has never thrown anything away, we are
pround owners of 6 lawnmowers.  Two of them presently reside in Florida
and the other four are here in Georgia.

I repaired one of the two very quickly when in Florida, got the other
one diagnosed and partially repaired (all it needs in one carburetor
gasket/diaphragm that I have ordered) and started work on the
lawnmowers here in Georgia when we returned.

Two of the four were relatively easy to fix (one needed oil changed,
filters cleaned, new wheels) and the other just needed a general tuning
up / cleaning out of the gas tank type f work.  That left the 20 inch
push mower and the riding mower.  The 20 inch push mower is all but
fixed (have part ordered for it as well) with about a half a day's work
expended on it.

That left the real task of tasks:  the riding mower. No ordinary riding
mower, mind you, but the riding mower that decided to wear me out good
in the process of trying to fix it.

This is the riding mower that sat under the deck for over five years,
the tarp it had covering it long ago a tattered shred of its former
self. It offered no protection for the lawn mower for more than 4
years.  Its condition could be desribed as dismal with one still being
optimistic when saying so.  It had four flat tires, a battery deader
than King Tut,  rust on everything,  cob webs and spiders on it, under
it, AND beside it.

Weeds had grown up to the axles and it had to be dug out before it
could be pushed back and air put in the tires.  After extricating it
from under the deck, no small task at that, and pushing it over near
the garage where I could work on it out of the weather, I started the
renovation.

One of the problems with lawn mowers and such is gasoline does not
store well. It typically will turn to varnish in the gas tank and in
the carburetor of the mower and in this case, boy howdy, did it ever.
A carburetor is chock-a-block full of tiny orifices, each one very
important in the function of the carburetor, and there are passageways,
moving parts, valves and other assorted items inside that varnish
wreaks havoc on.  Needless to say the carburetor was fully charged with
the worst case of varnishing that I had ever seen.  I worked for hours
using paint and varnish remover, compressed air, stiff pieces of wire
as cleaning rods and tons of patience to finally get that carburetor
cleaned.  And to top it off, the bowl ( a small reservoir that holds
most of the gasoline in the base of the carburetor) was also very rusty
inside.  The last item I worked on on the carburetor was the bowl.  I
finally got most of the rust out, reassembled the carburetor and hooked
everything back up, including the gas line from the gas tank to the
carb.  Things were starting to look good.  I had hopes of trying to
start the mower that same day.

And then frustration began to set in.  At the base of the carburetor,
unbeknownst to me, rust had "eaten" a hole in the bowl -- a hole so
small that I missed seeing it before. Gasoline dripped steadily from
the carb as I watched my hopes of getting the riding mower working that
day start to disappear then.  You see, you just don't need no gasoline
dripping onto a hot air-cooled engine.  It can make for a dangerous
situation.  I called around and no parts suppliers within a hundred
miles had a replacement bowl.  What to do?  I HAD to get this durn
mower going, especially after expending the amount of effort I had put
into it at that point.  I didn't want the sun to go down on that mower
without proving that it could still run!(something my wife was sure
would never happen)

I took the bowl off and then put my thinking cap on.

What if I could seal the hole up with something? I thought.  But after
trying several things, from bubble gum to glue to duct tape, nothing
that I had handy would stop the leak once gasoline was put into carb.

While looking at the bowl mounting screw on the bottom, suddenly it
dawned on me: the bottom of the bowl was mounted by a screw that went
through a large hole in the bowl.  The head of the screw had a rubber
gasket around it to seal around the head of the screw.  That's what I
need, I thought.  A rubber gasket for the hole and a screw to plug it.
But that wasn't to be because a screw inserted into the pinhole would
go into the carburetor too far, foul up internal parts and prevent it
from working properly.

What to do? I thought again.

Then came the moment of inspriration <insert one of them Eureka! things
here> and I had a plan that I knew would work.  First I made the
pinhole larger with an icepick.  Wait a minute, I know what you're
thinkin'.   Quit snickerin' and just read on.

Then I took an old piece of rubber O-ring I had left over from
repairing a faucet in the house, cut it into a short "string" of
rubber, trimmed the end down with my pocket knife into a point smaller
than the pinhole in the carburetor, stuck the trimmed end into the
hole, took a pair of needle-nosed pliers and pulled the trimmed end of
the O-ring until the O-ring was well into the hole.

I reassembled the bowl on the carb, hooked up the gas line and put more
gas into the tank.  Then I waited, watching diligently at the bottom of
the carburetor for leaks.  A minute passed and no leaks, two minutes
and the same results.  After 10 minutes of no leaks I knew that I had
the cure for the leak in hand.

I pulled the car up next to the mower, hooked up jumper cables to the
mower, inserted the rusty keys into the mower and turned.

The engine coughed, sputtered, shook and then came to life!  I let it
run for about 15 minutes and watched the carb during that time for
leaks. Not a drop was seen.  I hopped on the raggeddy seat, put it in
gear and took off for the lawn:  no problems.  I engaged the blades, no
problems. I cut the grass, no problems.  I pulled it back up to the
garage, shut it down and checked again for leaks at the carburetor.

No leaks!

So, next time you're in the neighborhood and perchance you see me out
cutting grass on a raggeddy, rusty old riding mower that looks like it
has been sitting in the weather for 5 years, don't think anything of
it.  You see its all because we have never thrown anything away in our
family.

And if you happen to come up close to marvel at how something that
looks so bad can run so good, for gosh's sake, no matter how tempted
you are to do it . . .

DON'T PULL THAT LITTLE BLACK "WORM" OUT THAT'S HANGING DOWN OUT OF THE
BOTTOM OF THE CARBURETOR!

That's right, it's SUPPOSED to be there!

And besides,

I've kinda' gotten attached to it.

( Oh, heck, who am I foolin' anyway? To be perfectly frank, I'm all
kinds of proud of it, doncha' know! )

    bd
     ------