TheBanyanTree: RAG, TAG, AND BUDDY JOE

Sharon Mack SMACK at berkshirecc.edu
Wed Sep 22 05:00:25 PDT 2004

Last night at bedtime, my daughter laid down with Gage and read him the
story.  He cried.  After she was finished he HAD to call me (he can be
very dramatic) to thank me.  He said he had been VERY worried but he
felt better now.....wish all problems could be solved so easily!

Sharon

>>> "Jan Denke" <j_denke at hotmail.com> 9/21/2004 11:26:52 AM >>>
What a sweet story, Sharon! I hope your grandson likes it and that it
gives
him some comfort over the loss of his blankies...

Hugs,
Jan

> [...]
and
>couldn't wait until it was their turn to serve.
>
>As the baby grew, some diapers were pulled from the pile and used
>beneath the small child's chin to catch his milk as he drank.
>Everyone liked this job best and if they were lucky they were put to
bed
>with the child and allowed to sleep with him.  Rag, Tag and Buddy Joe
>loved this the best and sometimes at night would trade places with
one
>of the other diapers in the hopes that they would be chosen for this
>job.  Buddy Joe became a believer overnight.  Once when he came back
>from his first trip to night-night with the boy he cried.  He had had
>such a good time and had at last learned cuddling.  The baby had
>snuggled him that night.  "It was W-O-N-D-E-R-F-U-L!"  he had said
>ecstatically.
>
>As the baby, Gage, grew, the Mommy (that was what the blonde girl was
>called) came to choose the three believers more and more.  Soon they
>were the ones that the baby himself was choosing.  Rag was definitely
>the favored blankie, but Tag ran a close second with Buddy Joe the
>runner up.  The diapers now were officially designated, "blankies."
>They were very proud and now all the diapers in the cupboards and
>drawers were believers.
>
>Cynnie was sure that Rag, Tag and Buddy Joe's luck at being a blankie
>would change soon.  "It won't last forever," she warned them.
>"He'll grow up and tire of you.  He'll want games and toys and
>then there's that thing they call school.  He'll drop you then for
>sure."
>
>But the three little blankies didn't care.  They would hang as long
>as he wanted them.  They couldn't worry about the future.  It was the
>now that was important.  They wanted to enjoy every minute that they
>could with Gage.
>
>Sometimes, as Gage grew, he would go away for the night.  If the
>blankies were lucky they would be taken with him.  Sometimes he took
one
>(Rag was his favorite), but sometimes he would choose one of the
others.
>  The best trips of all were the ones where he took all three.  That
was
>the way it was when he took them to New York.  It was the most
exciting
>adventure they would ever have.  They watched and hoped as the
suitcases
>were being packed, and sure enough, they got in.
>
>The blankies by now were nine years old, and for a blankie that can
be
>really old.  Rag was really feeling his age now and had lost a lot of
>weight.  Gage didn't seem to mind.  He loved him best anyway.  Tag
and
>Buddy Joe were feeling their age, too, but not quite as badly as Rag.
>They began to hear stories of other blankies who had been retired.
Some