TheBanyanTree: Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...

Laura wolfljsh at insightbb.com
Sat Sep 25 16:58:00 PDT 2004

Today was the big freebie day at King's Island, near SinSinCity.  We
decided not to go, for many reasons, not the least of which was that
Larry has had lots of overtime and is plumb wore out.  Two hours drive, 6
hours walking around riding on rides that give you a headache, and two
hours drive home again just didn't appeal.

Kids were cool with that.  Especially since we told them we would go out
to eat and then go see this movie that they really were just *dying!* to
see.

My cell phone was flat, so I left it home recharging.  Larry's was flat
too, but we took it in the car with us, just in case we needed to make a
call out.  It stayed in the car during lunch and the movie.

We got home about 4 hours later with some neat purchases from the
discount book store and the discount toy store near the theatre.  I sat
down to read, Larry played on eBay, and the kids went to do whatever it
is they do outside.  Fight, probably.

As the sun started to go down, I figured that now would be as good a time
as any to water the front garden, which was starting to wilt from
neglect.  As much rain as we've had all year, it's hard to remember that
NOT having rain for two weeks is bad for the plants!

As I was coming back in to get a plastic bag to get the chipmunk carcass
out of my fountain (apparently the animals are thirsty too, and they
can't swim very well), I heard the phone ringing.  I picked up the phone,
and saw that it was Larry's aunt.  Just then the answering machine picked
up.  I must have not heard a couple of rings.  I pushed the talk button
on the phone, and the stop button on the answering machine, but Donna had
already hung up.  That's when I noticed that the machine had 5 messages
on it.

No big deal, I have two ads in the paper, trying to sell a mattress, and
a lawn mower.

I picked up my now charged phone, and checked it - 3 voice messages.

Uh, oh.  This isn't good.

I pushed play on the machine.  The first message was Larry's cousin,
letting us know that his sister's husband had a heart attack this
morning.  He died instantly.  Sitting at the table one moment, and
slumped over dead the next.  His 12 year old son was with him.

This is the husband of the sister who has, well, mental troubles.  She is
not well balanced.  The same sister who has been making the settling of
her mother's estate a real hell for her brother - my husband.  We didn't
realize how much we had been depending on her husband to help out with
the care and maintainance of her.

Geez.  Now what are we gonna do?  What are her poor kids gonna do?  I
feel terrible for thinking of myself and my family right now, but that's
what I'm doing.  Are WE gonna have to be responsible for this incompetent
and her kids?  I just can't - I really can't.  I would lose *my* mind,
too.  This puts so much pressure on my husband, and he is already
mentally stretched almost to the maximum.

Don't get me wrong.  I liked Tim.  He was a great guy, who stuck by his
wife's side through thick and well, just about as thin as it gets!  He
took good care of his family, and he will be sorely missed.

But God, why oh WHY couldn't you have waited until Mom's estate was
settled before you took him?  Then she would have had a steady income, a
house, something to count on.  Right now, she has nothing, and we have
all the responsibility.  Why now?

Oh, I'm sure I'll figure it all out in time, but right now, I'm not a
very happy camper.

--
Laura
wolfljsh at insightbb.com