TheBanyanTree: blisters on my feet...

Sachet sachet at iline.com
Thu Oct 21 06:47:30 PDT 2004

Every other time I have organized a wedding at church, it's been a
pleasurable and lightweight responsibility. Several easy hours of my
time, offering mild guidance and direction for the Rehearsal and
Ceremony. Fun and certainly no big deal.

Well, not this time! And I, in my unsuspecting ignorance wore strappy
little sandals in no way intended for sprinting and hurriedly walking
for miles on end. A lot of which would have been alleviated if I had
been sent various lists and other pertinent info. Or if the minister had
bothered to share details with me. I guess they thought I would know
everything by osmosis???????? Last minute wedding plans are a bit of a
challenge. Long distance makes it even more difficult to organize the
plethora of tiny details, since everyone was from out of town or out of
state. And so it went....

Do you have any stick pins? (I know where some are and I'll go get you
some.)
I need scissors. (I know where a pair is and will be right back.)
We need tape. (I have some in my bag. Be right back.)
Where do the flowers go? (Here, here and here. I'll take the rest over
to the Bride and her attendants.)
Where do the balloons go? (Over in the Fellowship Hall. Just a sec and I
will take you there.)
What color bridesmaids dress goes with which groomsman's boutonniere? (I
don't know, but will run and find out.)
The balloons that were just delivered by the florist are the wrong
color!! We need to tell the Bride's mother! (No. Let me call and see if
I can fix the problem and then we can present her with a problem solved
and save her more stress.)
Where does the cake go? Oh no! The cake top decoration is too big and
will smash the flowers. (That's ok. We HAVE to have the topper and no
one will be able to see the flowers under the topper anyway, so it
really won't matter.)
Does all three sets of music people know what time to begin their
pieces? (No? Ok. I'll go talk to each of them and get them synchronized.)
Where is the ring bearer? (No one knows? Ok, I'll go find him. No one
else leave the Narthex! Ummm... please.)
One of the Bridesmaids spilled a streak of something on her dress!!!
(Ok, since it won't come out, I'll have her hold her flowers a bit lower
and her arm will block the stain. Please remember that this honestly
won't matter 5 years from now. [And then I separated the crying
Bridesmaid and angry mother of the bride.])
We need to go change for the wedding! Can you please finish adding
balloons to each table? (Yes, go change, no problem.)
Does the photographer know where to go to take pictures after the
ceremony. (I go check with the newbie photographer and he sez ...."I'm
supposed to come in the Sanctuary after the ceremony and take pictures?"
Why yes, you are. Here I'll show you and help you herd the wedding party
into place after the ceremony.") I rolled my eyes when he wasn't looking
Does the DJ have the list of names of the wedding party so that he can
announce them? (I don't know, but will go verify.)
I NEED the flower girls basket of flowers in the parlor NOW so that the
photographer can take pictures before the ceremony....sniped the Bride
to her mother. (Ok, I know where it is and will run and get it. Be right
back.)
Coffee. Someone needs to make 5 pots of coffee. (Ok, I'll take care of it.)
Food! We can't be in the wedding AND get the food out of the walk-in
refrigerator. (I have to be in the sanctuary then too, but I will ask a
couple of people to leave immediately following the ceremony and will
take care of it.)
We need to tell everyone at the Reception to go ahead and start eating
since the photo's are taking SO long. (Ok, I'll go ask the DJ to make an
announcement.)
We are done with the grandmother's pictures. (OK, I'll take them over to
the Reception so that they can be comfortable.)
The DJ - When should I announce the wedding party and how do I pronounce
some of the names? (I'll go ask the Bride how much longer she's going to
be with the photographer and also verify name pronunciation. Be right back.)
The DJ again - Do you have a towel? The bubble machine is leaking. (Yes,
be right back.)
"When should I make my toast?" asked the Best Man. (Hmmm...that's a good
question now that the Bride has changed the order. Let's go talk to the
DJ and arrange an announcement.)
When should we cut the cake? (Let's go talk to the DJ and arrange an
announcement. I'll handle the lights.)
How do we cut the cake? (Well, we save the top in a box to be frozen for
the couple's first anniversary. I'll get the box that the cake decorator
left and a tray for the non-eatable decorations.)

This, that and the other thing mixed in with getting the wedding party
and family members organized and lined up in the proper order and
nudging them down the aisle at the appropriate time whilst signaling
musicians, calming the bride who thinks there aren't enough people and
is therefore hurt; while getting the wedding guests to stop standing
around talking and SIT DOWN so the wedding can begin.

Then there was the cleaning of the Sanctuary of all wedding decorations,
candelabra's, etc. Steering the lingering wedding party back to changing
areas after the reception and locking up. Oy.

I had a blast, though. Being a real wedding coordinator would be a great
job, 'cause I get to nurture, encourage, organize AND tell people what
to do in a multitude of ways. And they do it! Perrrrrfect! <g> It's a
benign kind of power. Nothing life or death, although the bride and
M.O.B. sure 'nuff think so. :-P     And all for such a joy-filled
reason. Love it, love it. love it. I'm sorry this was my last wedding at
this church.

...Sachet