TheBanyanTree: Busy

Margaret R. Kramer margaretkramer at comcast.net
Sun Oct 10 06:17:55 PDT 2004

We finally had a free weekend to ourselves and we took advantage of the
beautiful October day and the fall energy coursing through our veins to get
some things done.

Our garage door opener broke down, so Ray bought another one and spent most
of yesterday installing it.  I know that’s a wicked job and if it would have
been me, I would have had to hire someone to do it.  I can barely use a
screwdriver.

Ray mowed the leaves in front of the house before starting on his project.
The leaves are falling fast and furious from our two trees out there.  It
didn’t take long before the front yard was again covered in golden oblong
leaves.

I did the dishes, got the laundry going, and vacuumed before heading out to
do a little shopping.  I’ve been buried in “work” for my women’s
organization for the past few weeks and it was a real treat to have the time
to head out to the stores.

I stopped at Michael’s and bought fall flowers for our family plot at the
cemetery (my parents, my grandmother, and my uncle are all buried in one
plot).  I found some Thanksgiving decorations while rummaging through the
silk flowers and grabbed up a bunch.  Thanksgiving is not a big decorating
time and it’s frustrating to find so few things to put out to celebrate that
wonderful holiday of eating, eating, and eating.

Ray had coupons for Pepsi at Cub Foods so I stepped in there and raced
through the store to buy the 24 packs.  I don’t drink pop anymore, but Ray
does, and he likes to stock up on it when it’s cheap.  I also pulled some
cash out of the ATM machine while I was there.

I drove to Frank’s which is closing due to bankruptcy.  I love that store,
because the plants were cheap and they always had great Christmas trees.  I
don’t know where I’m going to buy my tree this year.  Yes, I still get a
real tree.  Even though they’re messy, I love the pine smell in the house.

I bought a couple of plants and a small bird feeder.  Most of their prices
hadn’t dropped enough for me.  I also picked up a couple of pumpkins to put
on our stoop.  I’m not sure if I’ll carve them or not.  I probably will –
force of habit.

Then it was on to the cemetery.  It was empty except for one family putting
flowers on a grave.  I hung garland in the tree by my family’s graves and
placed the flowers in the vases.  It was nice to be standing in the sun,
hearing kids playing nearby, and just have a chance to communicate with my
family in a silent way.

I had the big gas can in my car to fill up (gas for the lawnmower and yikes!
the snow blower), so I stopped at the gas station where I paid a $1.94 a
gallon for gas.  I filled up and then went inside to buy Powerball tickets -
$20 worth.  That’s where the ATM cash came in handy.  They will only accept
cash for Powerball tickets.  I rarely spend more than $5 on Powerball, but
since the pot is so big, I decided to splurge a bit.  I also participated in
our work lottery pool in which 36 of us paid $5 each for tickets.  Well, if
we win the lottery, it won’t matter what we pay for gas.

I had enough time when I got home to check my email and balance the
checkbook.  Then we drove to the Guthrie Theater in Minneapolis to see
“Pygmalion” by George Bernard Shaw.  That play was the basis for the movie
and Broadway production of “My Fair Lady.”

We had dinner at the Guthrie.  They provide a good café selection of food
and because the beautiful fall weather made me feel so happy and content, I
had a piece of melt-in-my-mouth chocolate cake.  Delicious!

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at comcast.net

http://www.polarispublications.com
Be a star!