TheBanyanTree: Judgment Conundrum

Spoonoid at cs.com Spoonoid at cs.com
Fri Nov 5 04:47:23 PST 2004

Spoonoids:

       You do make a judgment when you decide not to condemn somebody for his
behavior. You have three choices. You can say this is good, this is bad, or I
do not have enough information to decide one way or the other. Each of the
three choices is a judgment.
       When you go to the polls to vote, you express your judgement as to
which candidate is good and which is bad. If you decide not to vote, you say by
default that the issues are not important enough to you to express your
opinion, so that somebody else may decide for you.
       If you look out your window and observe your neighbor walking down the
street, you will probably judge that the neighbor is exhibiting acceptable
behavior. If your other neighbor kicks down your front door, comes in your
livingroom and shoots the person sitting next to you on the sofa, you will probably
judge this as unacceptable behavior and condemn the perpetrator and wish to
punish him.
       If your neighbor is gay, you need to decide whether you think your
society needs to extend to him the same privileges it has traditionally extended
to heterosexual couples.
       Since you live in America (or other free country accessible to the
Banyan Tree), you get to make your own decision. Vote when you get the chance.

(Hope this don't sound too preachy, but I think it qualifies as a story.)

Later, John.