TheBanyanTree: It's FINALLY Spring in Alaska!... and Kentucky!

Laura wolfljsh at insightbb.com
Tue May 4 16:56:37 PDT 2004

On 4 May 2004 , snowgoose made this statement:

> I could go on indefinitely . . . the advent of Spring brings out the
> ramble in me. But nature calls and I must answer - it's time to go outside
> and play!!

OOoh, me too!

My feet hurt, my ankles hurt, my wrists hurt, my back hurts.  But oh!
what a wonderful hurt!  This past weekend, after a long but sucessful
yard sale, we finally got out and bought a fountain for our front garden.
 It will go next to the front stoop, in front of the dryer vent.  That
vent is strategically placed to kill anything you plant under the front
windows.  We're hoping that water plants sunk down into a nice water
feature will be able to withstand the hot blasts of moist air a bit
better than our previous plants.

Today was so beautiful, I let the kids off easy with their schoolwork,
and we all went outside.  We all got to play in the mud digging the hole
for the basin.  Rob assigned himself the job of 'kid who gets to play
with the hose', so any time we needed water, we had to get his attention
and direct his waterplay toward the actual water feature.

Matt was *such* a big help!  He just dives right into work like a great
draft horse.  He dug most of the hole, he carried the 50 pound bag of
sand around the house, and he pushed 100 pounds of topsoil and mulch
around from the garage to the front stoop.  Not bad for a kid who just
turned 11.

Rob was also a big help, but his way of helping is a bit more erratic.
He is a wonderful go-fer, and believe me, when your Mom is as
scatterbrained as I am, a good go-fer can be a life saver.  For example,
I had my hands wrist deep in the mud, two inches of mud stuck to the
bottom of my shoes, and had to have a towel from inside the house.  If
Rob hadn't been here to go-fer it for me, I'd probably still be out there
working.

We got the hole dug, poured a bag and a half of sand in the bottom, and
put the basin in place.  We leveled it by laying a long level across it
and scootching the basin around in the sand until the bubble was in the
middle no matter which way you turned the level.  Then we started packing
the dirt in around the basin, re-checking the level after every layer of
dirt.  Then we had to clean the mud out of the bottom of the basin so we
could put the pump and the rocks in.  Oops.  I didn't expect the sandy
sludge in the bottom of the bag of rocks.  Guess I shoulda washed those
rocks off first, huh?   We may have to pump the dirty water out, but I'm
going to let it sit over night and see if it clears before I make a
decision about that.

Now that it's in place, we are really loving the fountain.  It burbles
and bubbles and splashes, right under our front window.  It's wonderful!
There are no plants in it yet, that has to wait until the water is
treated and is at least 'room' temperature.  I don't want to shock those
tiny  miniature water lillies and irises. Then of course, we still have
to get actual plants in the ground around the basin.  We're not quite
sure what we're going to put in, but we have some ideas.

I think the best part of the day was, well, the day!  It was 70 degrees,
sunny, and a nice cool breeze to keep the sweat off.  We had such fun
playing in our garden today.  I'm *so* glad it's actually spring again!

--
Laura
wolfljsh at insightbb.com
http://home.insightbb.com/~wolfljsh/index.html