TheBanyanTree: A chip pannini

John Bailey john at oldgreypoet.com
Sat May 29 01:11:31 PDT 2004

Friday May 28, 2004

A CHIP PANNINI

"I'm going to Skegness today," I announced at breakfast. "Would you like to
come with me?"

"What for?" asked Graham.

"I have to take this pension form into the Social Security office along
with my birth certificate to have them confirm sight of the thing."

"You won't like it."

"What won't I like?"

"The Social Security place."

"Why? It's just an office, isn't it?"

"You've led a sheltered life."

"I'm getting nervous now."

"Oh, you'll survive. But you won't like it."

He was right of course. All the way through my working life until today I
haven't had to stand in line with the great unwashed, waiting for a clerk
to stamp a form for me. The 'office' was a dour, airless place, with
bulletproof glass screens protecting the two women who were processing the
queue. I've seen this sort of thing in the movies, and in situation
comedies and dull grey dramas on TV, but I'd taken it as
over-dramatisation. I was wrong. The Social Security office in Skegness is
probably the most dispiriting, life-sapping place I've ever visited. I
thought I'd died and gone to some kind of State hell. The impression was
reinforced because, while waiting, I was wedged between three exceedingly
smelly blokes who were discussing their cases. Loudly. Over my head. And I
don't think any of them flossed this morning.

It was horrid. The common advice for those who wish to survive such
situations is to lay back and think of England. Problem is, this is England
for a lot of people and, more to my own selfish point, it's the official
face of the England that waits for those of us who survive long enough to
collect our old age pensions. Not much of a reward for a decent working life.

Graham had been taking a turn around the town while I was engaged on State
business.

"How was it?" he asked as I stepped out into the blessed sunshine and
walked through the cloud of rancid smoke generated by smokers waiting for
their turn at the Social Security office. Some people have appointments, so
it seems.

"I didn't like it."

"Told you so."

"You were right. I think I'd like to go home and take a shower now."

"Bad as that?"

"Yup."

"Well, tell you what. As a reward for your endurance we can have a
fish-and-chip lunch before we go home. How about that?"

"That'd be nice but to be honest I'd rather have a Starbucks."

"Starbucks doesn't seem to have reached Skegness yet."

"Shame," I said, my spirits reviving and my wickedness along with them. "I
could just go a triple espresso and a chip pannini."

--

John Bailey   Lincolnshire, England

journal of a writing man:
<http://www.oldgreypoet.com>