TheBanyanTree: Fair Weather and Fire

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Fri May 28 12:20:07 PDT 2004

While the Midwest is blasted with storms and tornadoes and floods, we in the
deep south are dry.  Hurricane season is supposed to start in May, and the
rainy season, which should replenish the water tables, low rivers, sagging lakes.
Yet, narry a drop had fallen.  I suppose they will reinstall the sprinkling
ban again, soon.

There have been wild fires inland already.  They blaze through the brush and
scrubland, and the stinky haze burns the eyes for miles around.

My yard pond level sinks. The water lilies stand tall above the surface. I am
glad the Koi are offspring of the regular carp, and so can live in brackish,
warm waters, and find food anywhere. They are the crows of fishdom, cleaning
the pond of algae, weeds, and any slow fish coming by.

I feed them every morning, a regular, supplemented Koi food that comes in
little brown pellets. I stomp on the wooden dock to call the fish to me (and they
DO learn). I sprinkly the food onto the pond's surface, and rather than
rushing in to gobble, the big Koi hang back as the hundreds of tiny fish gather.
Then the Koi come, mouths open, to suck in the food and whatever unwary little
fish is there.

Big Mac, Spotty, Mutt, and Goldy, all around 30 inches, some longer, eat
heartily. Then, for the rest of the day, they doze, or scrounge along the bottom
for fish or frog eggs or tadpoles, wilting waterlilies, or whatever they might
find to eat.

Meanwhile, I, on land, rush to the bank, and to the final inspection of my
new home. They fnished and painted the outside trim, but the garage door still
doesn't work. Not to worry, I spot a brand new one in the corner of the garage,
waiting for installation. The leaking dishwasher has been replaced with a new
one, but the hanging phone jacks still need to be fixed securely to the wall.
I don't worry. They sellers will have another house payment due any day, and
if the work is not done, I threaten to delay closing.  I can be mean, after
all, I guess.

The day after closing, the man I hired to fix the barns and fences will
start. And, another project, the addition of a sunroom or family room will be hee
to give his advice and estimates.  On another front, I clean the floors of my
'sold' home. One of these days, I will clean them for the last time.  I love
those floors, tiles lovingly picked out. The Mexican tile in the front porch is
unique, in that a dog's paw print shows in three of the tiles. I love that
small irregularity.

I hate to move, yet am looking forward to the new house, as it will be when
the work is done. It's a bit smaller, and oddly shaped. Yet, it, too is unique.
I am given to wondering on what weed the architecht smoked when laying out
the plans. One of the men who was foreman on the many repairs, told me he stayed
in the house overnight with his dog one night, and it was so peaceful he was
tempted to buy it himself (except he admitted his wife would never live in the
country, so that would be a problem.)

Owls and Whippoorwills sing at night, accompaniment to the frogs.
Mockingbirds and Cardinals, and a thousand little finches flit about during the days.
White egret follow the local cattle as they graze next door.

I will have a pond sculpted out of the sand for the Koi, and perhaps an
orchid shed or gazebo, if the money holds out.

I might have the pines nearest the house cut away. The fire danger grows as
the dry season continues. Better safe than sorry.

Life stays the same, and life changes.

NancyLee