TheBanyanTree: RE: Paper Pants

Red Pepper anita at redpepper.net.au
Thu Mar 25 22:45:30 PST 2004

<snip>
You have to know my son.  He's a quirky, creative kid with a stubborn
streak that beats all.  If he is hell bent on something, he is heads
down and heels planted.  He has an amazing knack for envisioning the end
result he wants and making it manifest.  This is something I struggle
with all the time--making things happen by believing in myself, in my
creative vision, in my abilities.  At thirteen he does it with the
greatest of ease.  At times, feeling tired and uncreative and picturing
only the mess we'll have to clean up, I put up obstacles of disbelief in
his path, only to be eventually mown over by this kid who has no time
for disbelief.  I should know better by now.  If Andy wants to make
paper pants, paper pants it is.
<snip>

Julie, that boy is going to go FAR. At the very least he has a great
career as a fashion designer ahead of him (you should see the kinds of
exotic fabrics they're playing with these days!). At the most - who
knows where that lateral, creative mind will take him?  Whatever he
does, he will be a pleasure to know, as he obviously views the world in
a unique way and has an eye for visual possibilities that are beyond
most mere mortals.

I have to admit, too - when I read the description of the pants, I
thought "Wow!  They sound really cool. Convert the paper to fabric and
I'd definitely be tempted to try a pair myself."  Does he take orders?
:-)

Anita