TheBanyanTree: postal prohibition

sash sash at remsset.com
Wed Mar 24 13:24:42 PST 2004

So, did you know that you can't mail booze?

I'm really surprised.  I mean, they mail me all sorts of nasty chemicals
from the dye shop in California and that's no problem.  You can ship great
Aunt Mildred's pickled beets every Christmas.  I would think that would be
a much bigger spill risk than a bottle of rum or something - wouldn't the
alcohol just evaporate - pretty much.  Pickled beets could ruin a lot of
other packages and youd never get rid of the color or the smell.

I even had a spiffy box from the liquor store that packs the bottle all
around tightly with formed recycled aper pulp or something.  Very sturdy
and safe AND environmentally friendly.

They didn't care.

I really only asked about it because I thought there might be a special
release form - maybe the person needed to sign for it and prove they are
over 21 or something.  I truly expected them to ask about the packaging
(of which I was quite proud) but they just flat out said "no".

They suggested that I might check with UPS, their ground service might
carry it.

I felt kind of silly walking back out with my package - and it's taken me
so long to get around to GOING to the post office in the first place.

And then I start wondering if normal people already know this.  If I
relate this sad tale of my failed errand to one of the woman at our front
desk would she give me an odd look and say "Of COURSE you can't ship
alcohol, whatever were you thinking??"

That happens to me a great deal.  I think of them as my "you're not from
around here" moments where, sadly, "around here" = "planet earth".  I
spend a lot of time and energy trying to translate between my brain and
the rest of the world but moments like this do come up and I am there,
flatfooted and my mouth hanging open - in it WAY too far to pretend that I
misspoke or was just being silly.

So I'll just talk to you.  You're not normal folk, for starters.  Also, if
you DO think I've skipped a groove, you'll only tease me a bit and I'll
know it's OK.

At least I'll hope that you're laughing at how funny it is to have such a
strange friend, and not that I should be sent to a retraining center
somewhere.

Right?

- sash