TheBanyanTree: It's official---I really am a grown-up!

trebro at att.net trebro at att.net
Wed Mar 17 18:18:33 PST 2004

Yesterday morning, the sidewalks were covered in sleet.  Because of the hair-brained scheme to plant trees along sidewalks (clearly a brainchild of Satan, I assure you), the path from Casa de Trebby e Liz to my bus stop is an adventure in good weather.

Well, I got to my stop okay, and even at a decent time.  I could tell this because I always judge my progress by where I meet these three kids on the street on the way to my bus stop.  If I'm early, I get to my stop before they leave the house.  If I'm running late, they meet me close to the Kelly School, where they attend, about halfway from my place to the bus stop.  We've never spoken, it's just one of those things.

On this particular occassion, they were running REALLY late.  I knew they should have been out the door already, and they knew it, too, because all three of them (there's an "older" brother, a sister about a year younger or so, and then the "baby" who's probably in like first grade, or maybe kindergarden) took off like a shot out the door and off towards the school.

As they passed me, I spoke to them for the first time. "Be careful, guys!"  I shouted as they passed.  "The sidwalks are really slippy!"

They stopped, nodded politely, and probably took off again once they were out of my sight.

"Oh my God," I thought as I got on my bus.  "I'm acting like a parent."

Or, put another way, one might say that on March 16th, 2004, I officially became a grown-up.

Nah....!

-Rob