TheBanyanTree: Sounds of Spring

Margaret R. Kramer margaretkramer at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 13 05:37:03 PST 2004

Not only does the sun get up earlier in the morning, and my fingers no
longer type in the dark, but the achingly cold silence of winter has been
replaced by NOISE!

The March winds are whistling through at full throttle, so our turbo fan on
the roof is spinning and squeaking.  I heard the little chirps of the
cardinals well before sunrise.  Woodpeckers are hammering at our oak trees.
Blue jays are battling for position at the birdfeeders.  And the crows are
caw, cawing overhead.

But all that spring noise is just an illusion right now.  We’re still in the
dead of winter.  The ground is still frozen.  The lakes and ponds are still
frozen.  And there are piles of frozen dirty snow all around.

The sun is mystery we can’t figure out, because it’s been hiding behind an
enveloping cloud bank.

So we exist during March.  There is no hope for spring, not in Minnesota.
We wear our sweaters and flannel shirts.  I have flannel sheets decorated
with snowflakes on the bed.  Ray and I light our fire in the evenings and
huddle close, because we’re cold just like we are in December.  We wear
mittens and scarves and wool hats when we go outside.  I drink hot chocolate
with gusto.

Our windows are shut tight.  That’s why I’m amazed at how all that spring
noise filters into the house.  But my ears pick it up, and I know despite
March’s winter appearance, spring is coming.  It just doesn’t happen in
Minnesota until May.  Two more months . . .

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at earthlink.net

http://www.polarispublications.com
Be a star!

http://www.bpwmn.org

Springtime is the land awakening.  The March winds are the morning yawn.
~Quoted by Lewis Grizzard in Kathy Sue Loudermilk, I Love You