TheBanyanTree: A Conservative throws in his hat.

Jim Miller jim at maze.cc
Sun Mar 7 21:04:07 PST 2004

Having observed a lack of gun fire or other direct attack on the hat, Jim boldly steps onto the soap box branch for a brief political discussion.

In 1848, Karl Marx and Frederick Engels wrote in the MANIFESTO OF THE COMMUNIST PARTY:

BOURGEOIS AND PROLETARIANS

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

Freeman and slave, patrician and plebian, lord and serf, guild-master and journeyman, in a word, oppressor and oppressed, stood in constant opposition to one another, carried on an uninterrupted, now hidden, now open fight, a fight that each time ended, either in a revolutionary reconstitution of society at large, or in the common ruin of the contending classes.

In this early statement, I see first a mistruth, followed by a truth. Obviously both were stated to be truth. That any two men should agree or disagree is inherent in our nature. That we can do so without raising fists to the other is accomplished through commitment to a civil nature in a free society.

The mistruth I refer to is the belief that the past is a history of "Class Struggle". I see it as "Class Envy". 'If you have more, I want it'. This topic can and has filled many books. This is my believe. I have not stepped up to defend it. I see life as completely unfair and inequitable. A source greater than me made it so. I accept this axiom and live accordingly.

The truth referenced is that a society which fights itself ultimately results in "the common ruin" of both forces

That our society has Liberal members and Conservative members is not destructive within itself. That these opposing factions can not come to the table and work out an acceptable compromise for their disagreements, is the destructive force that will ultimately destroy the society.

I am a Conservative. In the opinion of many I might be considered Radical Right. By my own definition, I am Moderate Conservative. In an ideal world, I would be a Libertarian. I am opposed to the proliferation and expansion of government in any form. Government is a most inefficient model for production.

I believe that all men should work for their bread, and I believe that merit is the only honest basis for compensation and promotion. I do not believe in welfare, yet I believe we have a responsibility to aid those in need, whether debilitated from birth or the victim of disastrous life circumstances. I refuse to parcel one morsel from my table to the capable individual who refuses to work because it does not suit him. Yet, I will give the shirt off my back and the last coin in my pocket to help the individual who honestly struggles to rise above the economic quagmire or provide for his family.

I am a Capitalist. I believe that capitalism is the purist model for a free society. Capitalism provides opportunity for any who seek it. I am blessed to be born to this privilege and will defend it to the death. While we hear and see the many frailties of human nature all about us, and where we observe the deceptions of a few in power, I believe that all men are fundamentally good, and a free capitalist society is the best way to serve that nature.

If I continue with all that I believe, it would fill a book and you would have long stopped reading.

There is much lacking in our country. I can start a second book with my thoughts on politicians of both parties. I do not agree with everything undertaken by the current administration. I do not agree with many actions taken in the last week. But I understand that as a free nation, we will have differing opinions, and compromise is often the most acceptable solution.

I do not understand the screeching rhetoric I hear daily. I am a perfectionist who demands detail and logic in any discussion. I am tired of hearing the old bombastic woes spewed from every corner by the party lacking power. As Sergeant Joe Friday used to say in every episode of Dragnet, "just the facts mam".  That's what I want to hear. Just the facts. And when you give me the facts, support it with verifiable data. If there is more to the story, tell me. If you can't do that, then sit down and shut up.

In 1994 I predicted an inevitable economic crash. The boom was built on a stock market riding on the wings of public greed. Stock values were pushed well beyond the assets on which they were based. Favored stocks rose because of a public fascination. The majority of those companies never earned a penny of profit. It had to crash, just like the biblical house built on sand. I hear the cries of anguish and realize that many retirees no longer can expect money they were counting on for a comfortable life. My son lost a large amount of expected earnings because of stock options with zero value. My own portfolio dropped as much as yours did. No one could know that these circumstances would be exacerbated by the events of 9-11. At that point, our world as a free society changed forever. However clichéd that sounds, it is true.

I don't discuss politics often. I worked it out a long time ago, and it serves me well.

The answer to our problems is in "We The People", not in a wholesale changing of the guard. We must work for and support those causes we sincerely believe will make a better world. We can not be apathetic or narcissistic. I for one gave more to local charities last year than I have in my entire life. It was needed and it was the right thing to do. Guess what? It made me feel good too.

You may not like the President, his party or his policies. I see him as a man of character, resolute in adversity, and a leader of men.  I disagree with much of his politics, but I stand behind him as the leader of this nation. The next in line will have giant shoes to fill, whether that be 2004 or 2008. When this president does leave office, I will expect his successor to be just as honorable.

Jim steps down, listening for further comment.