TheBanyanTree: Full moon in Alaska - from a sleepaholic

snowgoose dfrost at customcpu.com
Sun Mar 7 00:38:51 PST 2004

11:34 PM.

I am still awake. Every time I glance out our bedroom window, I see the
full moon. Every time I look, the moon has changed. In the early night,
it was full, bright and snowy white; SO bright, it caste shadows from
the trees across the snow. Beautiful - every branch was drawn in fine
detail. (Keep in mind, it's midnight - the moon was so bright it almost
looked like daylight). I looked again. One of the shadows so clearly
etched on the sparkling snow moved slightly. Opening the window and
peering closer, I realized I was looking into the eyes of a beautiful
cow moose (no antlers). She blended so well with the surrounding trees,
I hadn't noticed her - it was her shadow on the snow which gave it away.

I left her to her foraging and headed back to bed. But once again, the
moon drew me to the window. It was definitely a full moon, and now it
was changing shades. The once white moon was a delicate shade of yellow.
It looked either old and fragile or just in need of a wash. I opted for
the first, since I was seeing it through the high, delicate upper
branches of a tall birch tree. The darkness of the woods make it so you
really couldn't see the trees . . . only the chris crossing of  tiny
branches across the face of the moon  causing it for all the world to
look fractured, like a broken plate someone had not to carefully tried
to glue together. It looked like the pieces could fall apart any second.

I woke Jerry up to see the "broken moon". He blinked sleepily, said,
"Yep, it looks broke to me" and rolled back over to sleep. Sheesh. <grin>

Now, an hour later, the moon has moved across the sky. I had to go
outside to find it. Still bright, still full . . . it's at a lower level
in the sky, so the shadows are LONG and somehow a little spooky. I am
glad I don't need to stay outside for any length of time. A slight
breeze has popped up out of nowhere. The trees sigh in hushed voices.
The snow is still bright enough to track the padding feet of our barn
cat across the snow to her recent kill. A field mouse. In the moonlight,
the tiny bit of blood looks black. I head back to the house and lock it
firmly behind me. You never know.

Hugs,  Deb (Snowy)

--
Deb Frost / snowgoose
Spring Promise Pygmies
dfrost at customcpu.com
http://www.customcpu.com/dfrost/mypage.htm
Member NPGA & AkMGC (visit our club website!)
http://www.customcpu.com/dfrost/Minigoats/ak_club1.htm

  "Friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet
   when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."