TheBanyanTree: Groundhog Day

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Wed Jun 16 11:33:17 PDT 2004

On our Minnesota farm woodchucks (groundhogs) were a menace. Not only did
they eat all the best stuff, but they undermined the buildings. Finally, the
concrete floor in the main barn caved in and I saw large cracks in another
building's concrete floor.

I tried hunting them with a trusty .22 target rifle. That got the very
unwary, but the lively and crafty continued to escape and wreak damage.  I got
worried when the biggest one, female, was now with pups.

Now, I love pups, but I knew that in no time, these pups would go forth and
do what momma did, that is, dig under the buildings and eat all the gardens,
until we were a war zone.

Ling came into the picture.  Ling is my large, sturdy, SharPei/Rhosdesian
Ridgeback dog. A rescue from the pound as a pup. "Pup" now is 65 pounds of
concrete block, low to the ground, scowling of countenance, and a hunting dog par
excellance.  Every evening when the woodchuck would take her family out into the
corn and veggies, I would take Ling out for her walk.

I had long discouraged her from 'hunting' for Rhgodesian Ridgebacks were bred
as lion hunters, and I feared for my cats and all the cats within miles. Yet,
this was war.

We spotted the 'chucks. Ling looked at them,sniffed, and meandered to
somerthing else. I pointed and ordered, "git 'em." In no time at all, she tore after
the pests and sent three to 'chuck heaven. By the end of the week there was
only the big female left. Ling had the idea by then and was determined. I was
afraid she'd get chewed if she tackled the big one, which must have weighed in a
thirty-plus pounds, and was one mad momma.

Ling did get minorly chewed, but Ling made like "Rocky" and the chuck soon
joined her family.  There wasn't a 'chuck around for the rest of the summer.

Now I heard there is another woodchuck family moving into the old territory
and tunnels.  Guess Ling and I will have to make a trip north.

P.S.  Ling still doesn't borther the cats or any other critter. But, look out
woodchucks. She looks and sounds fierce, but is really just a big softy, and
tolerates all sorts of small and helpless babies clambering over her sturdy
frame.

NancyLee