TheBanyanTree: Re: Thebanyantree Digest, Vol 9, Issue 2

paul paul at remsset.com
Thu Jun 3 08:17:35 PDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Beverly Terhune
Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 1:31 PM
Subject: TheBanyanTree: Re: Thebanyantree Digest, Vol 9, Issue 2

Remove me - Paul is the reason

==============

Heh, actually I might be the reason.  Let me explain.

I'm being hit with spammy virus mail from a certain rr.austin account, perhaps
30 copies to me and another 30 to R's address.  Per day.  At 50 KB per
message, well....  So, in an effort to track down the idjit, I've been opening
junk mail to read the headers.

Anyway, I get this absolutely huge 136 KB email.  Outlook98, being a well
trained beast, promptly filtered the message to the Deleted Items folder.
[good Outlook, down boy!]  (grr!)  [down! sit!]   I read the thing.  Not bad,
even interesting... though I'm not in the market for that product.  Out of
curiosity I read the header and got pissed off.  Why?  Because of one line in
the header:

Excuse me?  remsset is my domain and I do not send bulk/spam mail.  So I get
spam and it's trashing my reputation?

Perhaps I went a bit ballistic.

I did a whois and found the hosting company for vitaminbaron.com.  I called
and complained.  Yeah, "mr. hates to pay long-distance" made a long-distance
call and on daytime rates too.  I sent a message to abuse@ the isp in the
header.. I also replied to the "info@" addy in the spam.... which bounced back
in a heartbeat as "user unknown" from "MAILER-DAEMON at fuzz.propagation.net".  I
didn't send anything to propagation.net.  This mess is really starting to
stink.

Then I resent the entire mess with an additional note to the to
"customerservice@" address I found on the website.  About two minutes I later
I had a reply from Bev stating "You have been removed.  Please remove me from
the Banyon tree."

I admit to having an attitude in the "remove me" department....  it's like
"you joined all by yourself and relevant links are in the message headers...."
Besides, I don't find anyone with the address of "customerservice@ " as a
member of the Tree.  I have other things to do and clicking through the other
twenty-five pages of BanyanTree subscribers is not on my list.

I also admit to wondering/worrying all day if I got Bev's 'net connection
and/or domain terminated.  It seems I have worried in vain.  So much for the
claims of "we do not tolerate spam" by one ISP and one web hosting company.

I honestly do not know who Bev is, from what I read on her site she seems like
a nice lady.  I have searched my TBT and Spoon archives for "Bev", "Beverly",
and "vitaminbaron".  Nothing found in stores totaling 74 MB.

Goodbye Bev, whoever you are.

Let the river flow....

paul
   http://remsset.com

   A couple of kids tried using pickles for a ping-pong game.
   They had the volley of the dills.