TheBanyanTree: Morning

LLDeMerlè imijri at twcny.rr.com
Wed Jun 16 13:49:52 PDT 2004

When I wake up later than you and you
are 2 hours at work,, already,
I don’t think about how other bedmates
share the first moments
of the morning, make the bed together or
kiss before brushing teeth.  I just walk to the kitchen, bare
feet so dried up and paper-like they curl on the cold tile,

I make coffee.

I wonder if Harriet Beecher Stowe and Mark Twain wore
slippers and if they were satin, buckskin or terry and if the Parisians
wore their slippers out to the sidewalks as they watched the German soldiers
march
through the Arc’ de Triomphe with their robes wrapped tightly ‘round them.
If they watched
them prance up the stairs of the Eiffel Tower from down below with their
newspapers under their arms or
splurge on trinkets for Helga as their rollers bobbed on their disbelieving,
shaking heads.