TheBanyanTree: First Night In A New Town

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Mon Jun 7 08:36:29 PDT 2004

This past weekend, we decided to stay over in our new place. We packed
lightly, or hardly at all: a change of clothes, a couple of towels, toothbrush, and
something for breakfast.

We brought cereal and strawberries, but forgot milk and bowls. We brought
bread, but no toaster or butter. It was a good thing we were going out to buy
paint, we ate breakfast out, also.

We are using the weekend to paint. But, first, have breakfast out and buy the
paint. We found a cute new restaurant and lingered. It was past ten when we
got to the store for paint. It was one of those superstores for building
supplies, and had more paint samples than I could possibly count. I wanted lavender,
Do you know how many shades of lavender there are? Maybe a hundred.

It took me an hour to pick the one I wanted. I bought only half enough, so
will have to go back another time for the rest. When we had used up all the
paint, and the room was mostly lavender, we closed up the paint shop and just
enjoyed the afternoon.

It's ten acres of pine trees, several mockingbirds, kites (the birds) sailng
overhead in the updrafts, and little white egrets in the pasture. There are
also an orchestra of frogs seranding all night, and owls,, and something kept
rooting through the underbrush next to the house. The dogs went mad, so it must
have been some critter they badly wanted.

It's so incredibly peaceful there. It rained hard during the night. I woke
and sat on the screen porch to watch it. In the morning, first light, I went out
and the grass was already responding with new shoots.  The roof of my mini
van was covered with dry pine needles fallen in the night's rain. I found little
critter tracks going down the driveway. Possibly raccoon.

I hated to go back to the city, but I have the birds there, and I know
they're waiting for their food. I hate the idea of packing and moving. But I'll love
living out there.

NancyLee