TheBanyanTree: Hello Again

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Fri Jul 30 14:56:23 PDT 2004

I didn't expect you home this early.  I heard the gravel ping off tires and
the crunch of heavy braking on the driveway, and I knew you had rushed home.
(to be there when I came here?)

"Home."  It isn't my home anymore, but I still call it that out of decades of
familiarity. I climbed 'my'stairs and packed the clutter in 'my' bedroom. The
movers will come on Friday.  You said I could take whatever I wanted, as
calmly as though the collected stuff from 'our' lives meant nothing.

You changed your clothes, had a snack (asking me if I wanted any, but without
waiting for my reply) and went out to mow.  Nothing changes. You always came
home and went out to mow, or work in your shop until dark. That was one of the
problems.

I packed. You came in much later and made grilled cheese sandwiches. You
offered, so we sat and ate together. Like old times. We talked about nothing deep.
"Good sandwich."  "Thanks."  "Want another?"  "Sure."  "The weather is
holding."  "We could use some rain."

Over seconds, our eyes met and conversation ceased.  What were you thinking?
The same as I? Were you still angry? Still hurt? Still avoiding mention of any
of it? Wondering what happened, where it went wrong?

"More milk?" Your voice asked, but your eyes said something else.  "Yes," I
replied, answering the eyes' question, but getting milk.

You rinsed the dishes and glasses and went back to your mowing. I continued
packing. At nightfall, I sought you out to let you know I was leaving, but
would be back in the morning to finish up.I found you near the pear trees, and we
checked the growing fruit. Only you would be there to pick it.  "Nice crop
this year."  "It looks that way, doesn't it?" You climbed back on the mower.

I had to turn away. I had no idea why the pear trees affected me so.  I
walked back up the hill toward my car, blinking quickly. I would not show my
feelings by wiping my eyes.  I turned in the dusk as you restarted the mower and
took another turn around the pear trees. You wiped your face with the hem of your
tee-shirt.

I might have stayed if you had asked.

NancyLee