TheBanyanTree: tarnation...

Sachet sachet at iline.com
Sun Jul 11 16:06:40 PDT 2004

Over the years, there have been several occasions arise as a mother that
I would very much like to do over. I hate it that I have lost my temper
over what were, in retrospect, trivial things. Some of that comes to
mind now that it's hit home that I have one more year left before
Chelsea goes off to college and only a few years past that before it's
Zach's turn.

So I really try not to get upset over things that won't matter a few
years from now. I don't quite understand why it's necessary for Chelsea
to have 6 pairs of shoes at the front door when she has a bedroom, with
a closet. Oh wait, you can't get into her closet to see where any shoes
might go, much less put any there, so I guess it's a moot point. I can't
quite comprehend why her futon is the mountainous resting place for
every single item of clothing she owns, while her two dressers and
entire closet are never used as intended. No exaggeration.

I've honestly worked on not lecturing as much. Although, I have pointed
out that when we watch family video's and especially when it's the ones
where I set the video up and left it running for hours to capture daily
life when they were wee kidlets, never do they hear me yell or lecture.
Because neither one of those things were necessary back then because
they actually LISTENED to me then and didn't talk back and gee, is there
some connection? And hmmmm...could they maybe, just maybe try doing
their chores on their own without me nudging and maybe, just maybe, TRY
not to mouth-off to me or explain why they are right and I am wrong and
do I care or do I just want them to LISTEN to me and not try to tell
*me* what to do, because *I* am the mom! 'Scuse me...lecture mode kicks
in ever so easily.

Where was I?......oh yeah...so I'm trying to be more patient.....because
they still need parameters and they don't always appreciate that fact.
The bickering though.....just like that commercial on TV where the
little brother holds his finger mere centimeters from his sister's face,
arm, back, or leg...and keeps chanting..."I'm not touching you, I'm not
touching you." That kind of annoying-as-hell, asinine, pointless,
aggravating, childish, maddening, foolish picking at each other and
arguing makes me nuts. I know that someday they will outgrow it and I
know that they will miss each other when one of them leaves home. And I
know it will take years for that phenomenon to happen. But, I live with
the reality of just how annoying it is now. So they get grounded,
privileges removed, chores added on...whatever suits me when they push
me too far.

Part of the time I am able to remain calm and keep the fleeting time
thing in perspective. But, the other part of the time I am caught in the
midst of the reality of living with teens. I keep hoping that I won't
have too many regrets for the way I am parenting them now. That's a
challenge to keep in mind some days. I have some specific serious
regrets over some things I have said or done over the past year when
I've lost my temper. I never accepted the mentality that the teen years
have to be pure hell. I always felt that was a defeatist attitude and
insulting to the teen because it was setting them up for failure before
they were even given a chance.
After living with two teens for the past few years, I do have an
understanding why some parents might feel that way though, after a
certain point. Raising teens is an exhausting and challenging adventure.
Oh sure, there have been family crises that have been draining and
tumultuous. But this raising teens thing goes on for what feels like
forever and it's sometimes hard to feel like a good or successful parent
in the midst of it all.

One day last week though I had a glimmer of hope that I may actually
like myself by the time they leave home. That's been worrying me a lot.

I figure I have my priorities in order and am an ok mom when my 17 year
old daughter drives my new car...my first ever new car....the silver one
with the tinted windows, spoiler on the back and awesome stereo
system.....right smack dab through fresh tar, and not once did I yell or
berate or make her feel stupid or ask her what she was thinking.
.
Brand-new ooey sticky hot black tar so fresh that it splattered
allllllllllllllllllllllll over my shiny silver paint, wheel covers,
windows and just about anywhere and everywhere tar can splatter, so that
when you get in and out of the car to go to a doctor's appointment you
get lovely oily black tar all over your legs and any clothes that happen
to unfortunately brush against said tar covered car. Because you are in
such a hurry to get to the appointment you don't have time to do
anything about the tar. And your 17 year old daughter is honestly and
truly befuddled as to how it happened because all she did was leave work
and drive down the only road available to get in and out of the employee
parking lot, and she has never seen tar being applied to a road before a
new layer of asphalt is applied, and there were no warning signs or
orange cones and 3 other cars were also stuck driving on it in order to
leave work, so she thought it was ok for her to drive on it too. I never
ever thought to explain about fresh tar. Just never ever occurred to me.

She was so upset....on the brink of tears.....frantically
apologizing...offering to pay to have the car detailed and/or repainted.
All I could see was the look in her eyes, how stupid she felt...how
awful she felt over the whole thing. There was just no way I was going
to add to that over a stupid car. I have one more year at home with this
incredibly loving daughter of mine, and I think of that when we talk and
pray at bedtime as we've always done. Less than 365 days before we are
getting her ready to go off to college and I don't want to clutter those
days up with anger over things that won't matter in the overall scheme
of things. I'm still building a foundation that she can stand on and
know, with no hesitation, that I will love her unconditionally.

Even when she drives my shiny new car through fresh tar.

The two white etched-style butterfly decals on the back window? Somehow
the tar missed them.

Life is good. <g>

...Sachet

Oh, btw.....WD-40 works wonders on removing tar from a car. That and
lots and lots, and lots and LOTS of elbow grease, several rags that you
never plan on using again, an annoying little brother who actually
discovers the alien concept of compassion and a dad with strong arms who
takes pity on his 17 year old daughter. My car has never looked so good.

8-)