TheBanyanTree: What's the Speed Limit?

Spoonoid at cs.com Spoonoid at cs.com
Sat Jul 10 19:06:08 PDT 2004

Spoonoids:

       The last few weeks I had occasion to drive my car the length of
Interstate 81 in Virginia, northbound first, then southbound in return. The posted
speed limit is 65 MPH (104 Km/H) for most of the way, except they try to slow
you down to 55 (88) going past a couple towns, and in road construction zones.
But what is the speed limit, really? How fast can you go before the State
Patrol will pull you over and write a ticket?

       Being a good citizen, I try to obey the posted speed limit when I
enter a new state. But after a few miles at 65, everybody and their grandmother
are whizzing past me. So I figure it is safer to go with the flow, and speed up
to 75 to stay with the traffic. Occasionally a semi trailer truck will pass me
doing 80 or 85, and I am tempted to latch onto his draft and follow along.
But maybe that is tempting the troopers to pick me off and let the truck charge
on down the road. So usually I choose to stick with a group of cars going 75
or so. Then we pass a state trooper parked in the median with his radar gun.
Everybody in the group cruises on by without slowing down, and the cop ignores
us. He must be waiting to nab a 90. This scenario was repeated at least three
times during my journey through Virginia. I have heard that the state patrol
will generally give you 4 mph over the limit, but will nab you at 6 or more.
Apparently this rule was not active on I-81for the last few weeks, and the police
left all us scofflaws to do our public displays of civil disobedience.

       I did observe an interesting situation on my northbound trip, though.
We were tooling along in light traffic at 65 or so, in the right lane when we
came upon some orange signs advising that the left lane was closed ahead, due
to an accident. All the vehicles around us dutifully moved into the right lane
and slowed to a crawl as the traffic backed up from the accident scene. This
left the left lane clear of vehicles for a good mile or so, and only a few
cars went whizzing past us in the left lane, to get way ahead of us and then butt
their way into the line in the right lane. I thought of changing to the left
lane to get around all the other suckers, but since everyone in line was being
polite to wait their turn, I decided to be courteous, too. Then I wondered
WHY all those jerks behind us were not rushing past in the clear left lane, like
they usually do in the city. Could it be that these Virginia citizens were
exercising their southern hospitality? That the country folks along this highway
were more civilized than the usual lot of Americans? Nope.

    I looked in my side view mirror to see a semi truck in the left lane,
back about 100 yards, blocking the left lane, and traveling along beside another
semi in the right lane, at the same speed as the right lane. And he stayed
alongside that other truck as we all crept along for a mile and a half till we
passed the accident site where both lanes were clear again.

    I think that truck driver did us all a favor, at least for all the cars
in line in front of him. And probably for the people behind him as well. It
made the traffic flow more orderly, and we probably all made it through the jam
more quickly than we would have otherwise.

    Does anybody know if truck drivers normally exercise this type of traffic
control, or was my man independently inspired?

Later, John.