TheBanyanTree: Tales of a Woodcat - Healing Hands

Roger Pye pyewood at pcug.org.au
Sun Jul 4 03:45:44 PDT 2004

  "Ever been to Stonehenge or Avebury?"  the Woodcat asked.

Charles Rogers shook his head, No.

"You should, you being a Rei-Ki healer; it's not that far from your
hometown of Harpenden. Take a weekend off from that car rental business
of yours and just go."

************

Stonehenge  . . . . . one of the world's well-known if not the best
known 'religious' stone circles built on pagan ground some time between
2,000 and 5,000 years ago . . . went through four rebuilds, the last
very shortly before what became known as the Christian Era . . .

The guide booklet told the story of this very large monument to
who-knows-what very comprehensively, was a little more elusive about
Avebury which is immense by comparison, so much so it has a village in
the centre. The village of A. of course.

Why would the Woodcat tell me to come here? Charles thought, hands in
pockets, as he tagged along after a coachload of tourists who had
arrived at the same time as he, gazing at the remaining trilithons
surmounted by huge stone blocks, each, as the brochure said, 'with
mortise and tenon cut so it would fit closely to the tops of the
pillars.' Immediately ahead of him an elderly man walking with the aid
of sticks stumbled and sat down suddenly, so quickly Charles almost fell
over him; regaining his balance he saw a spasm of pain cross the other's
face, noticed a tautening of back muscles through the thin jacket.

"I'm a reiki healer, may I help you in some way? he asked. squatting
down next to the man who grunted something in reply. Taking that to be a
'yes' Charles 'called in the energy', let his hands go where they
wished, saw with surprise his left palm close in flat, fingers spread
out, on the right hand side of his recipient's head, his right hand in
similar position on the man's left hip.The universal energy poured
through him, in greater amount and more intense than usual, he felt his
arms, hands and feet tingling.

Five minutes or so passed then the energy waned. His right hand moved of
its own volition to the left shoulder, the energy re-intensified, he
could feel himself shaking at the impact. His mind had already accepted
the abnormality of the treatment, would not let go of what was happening
between the Universe, him and the patient. Without warning the energy
flow cut off and he began to go cold. The elderly man stood and flexed
his muscles, no hint of pain on his face. "I haven't felt so good in
years! Do you have a card or something so I can get in touch?"

Charles fumbled in a pocket, pulled out a crumpled slip of pasteboard,
mutely handed it over.

At a local restaurant where he went for dinner he was impelled to sit at
a table occupied by a lone woman, Harriet, who, he guessed from her snow
white hair, was in her late sixties. Almost at once he found he was
telling her of the healing episode that afternoon.

"Did he tell you his name?"

"I didn't catch it, I was so shaken by the energy. He gave me a card
though; I have it on me somewhere."

After patting his pockets ineffectually he checked his wallet, pulled a
card out and gave it to her.

Harriet glanced at it and nodded. "I thought so from your description;
Robert Ryde, Professor of Anthropology and Archaeology at Oxbridge
University. He was in a very bad car smash some years ago, was paralysed
from the waist down but refused to accept his condition. Eventually he
taught himself to walk again."

She stopped speaking and turned slightly away from the table; following
her gaze he felt rather than saw the looming presence of a single stone
upright marking the entrance to the garden at the rear of the
establishment. Seeing her reflection in the glass window which was
between them and the stone he saw a wry twist to her lips that might
have passed for a smile. Looking back at him, she changed the subject,
did not mention the professor until they had finished the meal and were
leaving the restaurant. In the cool air outside, she stopped him with a
hand on his arm as he made to leave.

"Would you like to see the henge at night, it's very impressive, the
stones etched against the waxing moon, the shadows falling away?  Also a
bit spooky if you're on your own. If you'd rather not, fine. It's just I
thought you might."

***

Spooky was right, he thought, not just on your own either. It was as
though there was life of some kind of life here. Inanimate life, was
that a contradiction in terms? He thought it was but
it described his feelings. Harriet's soft, gentle voice interrupted his
musings.

"About here, was it? Where you treated the professor?"

He looked round, taking his bearings. "Yes, about here, and . . . look!"
He walked along a few paces, bent down and picked something up. As she
caught him up, he held it up in the moonlight, heard her quick intake of
breath, felt her reach out and take the walking stick from him.

Together they walked on between the stone columns until they reached
carpark where their vehicles were standing alone, near the road that led
away from the henge.  He bent slightly to thank her for the excursion
and she made a disparaging gesture as though the escort had been
nothing. Then as he was opening his car door he had a sudden thought.

"The professor," Charles said. "What's he doing now?"

"Nothing. Robert died two years ago!" Shocked to the core, he heard her
sniffle and say, so low he could only just hear, "He was my husband;
thank you for looking after him."