TheBanyanTree: A Sight for Sore Eyes

Margaret R. Kramer margaretkramer at comcast.net
Fri Jul 2 05:30:55 PDT 2004

When I pulled into my driveway last night after work, I noticed all my Hmong
neighbors’ cars were gone and their house was closed up.  Nobody was lurking
in their yard.  Ever since their large gathering a few weeks ago, they’ve
had people staying with them, at least 3 extra cars parked in their driveway
or on the street.  I’m not sure if they’ve had visitors or these people are
permanently staying with them and it doesn’t matter, but I was relieved not
to see anyone around.

Our driveways are right next to each other and when the Hmongs are home and
if we’re outside, they literally line up at the edge of their driveway and
stand and stare at us like we’re exotic animals or something.  I could
understand that maybe they’re curious about us, but they’ve been living
there for two years and I’m sure we’re not doing anything that would
surprise them anymore.

It was a beautiful summer afternoon.  It was warm, humid, and sunny, just
like summer is supposed to be.  And I was going to have privacy.  I could go
out in my yard and not have several pairs of eyes watching my every move.

I put all my work stuff away, changed into shorts and a tank top, warmed up
some coffee, grabbed the newspaper, and went out on our beautiful wonderful
deck nestled under the trees. The big dog came with me and he stretched out
in the sunshine.

There was no wind.  There were no children playing outside.  The neighbors
with small children seem to have disappeared for the 4th of July weekend.  I
could hear the hum of air conditioners.  When it gets above 70 degrees in
Minnesota, everyone rushes to turn on their air conditioners because “it’s
too hot.”  They shut the doors and windows and isolate themselves from the
harsh world of summer.  There were just a few birds singing, otherwise it
was quiet.

I read the paper, sipped coffee, wiggled my toes against the wood of the
deck, and relaxed after a long day at work and a long drive home.

I went into the house and made dinner.  After dinner, I let the dogs out and
sat on the patio while they did their business and enjoyed doing nothing
without someone staring at me.  I’ve lived in apartments, in close city
quarters, and I don’t mind having neighbors close by, but I HATE being
stared at.  There’s something special about privacy and quiet, even in
crowded city neighborhoods.

The dogs were finished.  I went back into the house.  Ray told me he fixed
the window to his office so our black cat couldn’t use it as an alternate
door when he wanted to come in.  If the window was open, he would push in
the screen and get in the house that way.  That’s OK, but the last two days,
he’s managed to drag in his prey with him.  Ray found a dead baby squirrel
in his office the other morning.

Then yesterday, while Ray was on the computer, he felt something run up his
leg.  It was a little gopher that the cat had dragged in the house to finish
off.  After lots of chasing and the cat helping him, Ray managed to get the
gopher out of the house.  Now the window screen is secure.  I’m glad our cat
wants to share his trophies with us, but we’re not into small dead animals.

I went upstairs to my office.  The windows of the house were open.  I could
hear the night songs of the birds as I checked my email.  Then I heard car
doors slam.  I heard the click of the gate next door as someone opened it.
My neighbors were home.  I was hoping they went out of town, but no such
luck.  They were back.  At least, I was done being outside and safely in the
house, so they had nothing to stare at.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at comcast.net

http://www.polarispublications.com
Be a star!

http://www.bpwmn.org

To him in whom love dwells, the whole world is but one family.
~Buddha