TheBanyanTree: My, how time flies!

Russ Doden Russ at nogard4cd.com
Tue Feb 17 11:14:40 PST 2004

> At 06:40 PM 2/16/04 -0600, Paul wrote:
>
> >   TheBanyanTree officially opened March 1, 2000.
> >   And now, we are four.
> >   That's my story.  What's yours?

Short Version:

Back in the mists before the Spoon, I sat by a smokey camp fire
avoiding flames and learning I COULD write after all.  I had been invited
to pull up a log by a fellow performer at the Renaissance Faires.  Terry
Hinely encouraged my performance as well as my writing.  When the
smoke got too much, Terry moved to this new place called the Spoon,
and I followed along at his encouragement.  Sadly Terry was taken from
us far too soon, but I still listen to his music and harass is "little bro" who
is still a friend.  All to soon the Spoon closed it's doors but I heard about
this magical place called the Banyan Tree.

Through all of this, I have had a few changes of my own.  First was the
separation from my spousal unit of 20+ years.  We had just grown so far
apart that we didn't even know each other.  After the separation came
the divorce.  We seem to respect each other more now than we did the
last 10 years of marriage!  Through this I have been self employed for
most of it.  I'm just now starting to join forces with another company so
this is a new chapter in my life book.

On an even more personal note, I have become very active with helping
people on non traditional paths of spirituality.  Or maybe I should say
very old traditional paths.  Paths that help them find their own personal
power and connection to the creator.  Over this time I have become a
shaman apprentice (and that is all one ever is, an apprentice) a Reiki
master/teacher, and am on the Toltec Wisdom path.  I'm not the same
person I was when I first timidly walked up the that fire so long ago.
Now, I have a warm and wonderful branch, that is cared for when I am
absent for a while.  I have made friends through this place from all over
the world, that I never would have made otherwise, and have even been
privileged to meet some of them.

It is difficult to realize and grasp that the BT has been here for 4 years.
In some ways it feels like it has been here forever, and in other ways like
it was just yesterday I was shown my own branch.  Many changes have
taken place over the last 4 years, but the one constant that impresses
me more than anything is the respect everyone shows each other here.
That, in my mind, is something that is very special.

Russ