TheBanyanTree: The Furor of The Movie

Maria Gibson mgibson7 at nc.rr.com
Thu Feb 26 13:55:14 PST 2004

It's on the lips of everyone at work, and that's just in my little
world.  In my peripheral it's on the news in the morning, in the
newspaper every day and on entertainment programs in the evening.  It's
been hailed as the greatest movie and the worst movie.  It's been
questioned for content and intent and held up to the light for thorough
inspection.  It's sold out for most showings in the local theaters and
reportedly in most others around the country.  Church groups are taking
up a lot of space in those seats but not all of them.  People exiting
those theaters have found cameras in their faces to document the fresh
tears.  Unless you've lived in a mole hole or been hiding out in a
spider hole, you and your town are talking about it, too.

Maybe this will start a trend and the media and hordes of people will
begin to talk about the horrific graphics of other movies such as Jason
and Freddie.  Perhaps whole movements will move from questioning the
graphic details of this  Event on film to questioning the graphic
details of the fake murders, fake multiple murders, fake sex and/or fake
rapes on film.  Perhaps we will, as a nation, question whether or not we
really want our children gobbling and digesting that stuff in the mad
R-rated orgy they've been on.  One, and by that I mean me, can only
hope.

It's just my theory, and I mean mine so if you are going to roast me
don't forget the garlic, that we are not the group that is supposed to
make a big splash.  We don't go for wild stuff such as the fancy
schmancy bombings and have become rather quiet considering the noise of
other groups, I'm sometimes sorry to say.  So what gives with this
display?  Why ruffle feathers with what we believe is Gospel and others
believe is a tangle between church and state?  Why stick our necks out
and defend it?   Perhaps the decibel of the roar of the furor is an
adequate answer.  It speaks volumes to me.

I know it's not the whole story but there's a Good Book out you can pick
up at any local book store or even steal from any hotel; it really fills
in the gaps.  Even though a movie is always a great way to get to
visualize in a different way, I tend to like the book better.

Please remember; I cook best at a medium temperature and don't forget
the garlic.  No need to stick me with a fork, though, 'cause I'm done.

Maria