TheBanyanTree: Linger with me awhile...

trebro at att.net trebro at att.net
Fri Feb 20 05:30:41 PST 2004

One of the things you need to know about Pittsburgh is that we let things linger.  We talk incessantly about Super Bowls that happened over twenty years ago and keep electing politicians with the same last time.  They're trying to find a slogan for our area, and I humbly suggested they try:  Pittsburgh:  Get that Lingering Feeling.  Somehow, I get the impression they're not taking my suggestion seriously.

At any rate, the latest thing to linger is the ice from the bad weather we had in January.  Like a person at the last mile of a marathon, the ice clings to the sides of buildings, trash cans, and especially sidewalks.  If it's dark out, or if you're not paying attention, you can still take a nasty fall to this petrified H2O that refuses to be decent about it and find its way to our sewer system.

I for one simply won't stand for it.  It's time for this ice to move on out and let new ice take its place when the time and meteorological conditions are right.  I've been taking a stand--literally--against the icy vagrants!  When I'm walking down the sidewalk, if there's a little ice shelf---SLAM!  Down goes my foot, the satisfying cracking noise echoing from my shoe.  And once that ice is broken, it can't stay.  It's well on its way to the Gulf of Mexico.

DEATH TO THE ICE!

DEATH I SAY!

DEATH!

*ahem*

No, really, I'm just fine, why do you ask?

-Rob
http://www.livejournal.com/users/trebro