TheBanyanTree: Springing Back to Life

B Drummond red_clay at numail.org
Wed Feb 4 05:31:37 PST 2004

(Yes, I know that Punxy Phil just told us that there would be 6 more weeks of
winter, but . . .)

I was outside in the bright sunshine today.  The sun finally broke through
the clouds for the first time in several days. Rain and cold and miserable
weather had been the fare of late.

But today felt like a turning point.  Though the day was windy, with the bite
of winter still in it, the sun was working hard at slaying that old winter
beast.  Ol' Sol has worked his way up further from the south and is
putting some meat on his bones slowly, day by day, around here.

I remember last year's first glimpse of greenery from the sleeping flora
in the yard.  It was the salix babylonica.  Tiny green shoots, almost
imperceptible, appeared on the willow in the time from when I checked it one
day in the morning and when I noticed it that same afternoon.  And it was
early February if I remember correctly.

I'll be on the lookout again this year.  I want to see it happen again for
some reason.  The want to see the exact day that it happens.

It is a simple thing, I know, but something that still fills me with
wonder.  But, heck, what do I know,  I still think it amazing that I can
sit here in front of a glowing screen and send messages that can
circumnavigate the globe in seconds.

Take nothing for granted my grandfather said. A true appreciation of
things is a key ingredient to happiness, he said.

The good Lord knows I could use a little happiness 'bout now.

Think I'll go and look for something more to be thankful for.

   bd
    -----

    ----