TheBanyanTree: Confession

Tom Smith deserthiker2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 24 07:18:09 PST 2004

I have noticed that I have a powerful drive to accomplish.
It is difficult for me to be content just enjoying things as
they happen to be.

I have a strong sense that watching television or movies
contaminates, complicates and adds noise and chaos to my
life.  To me it is foolish to watch another person live
their life, usually a fictional exaggerated life, as well.
I would rather play baseball or football, golf or tennis,
paint a picture or have a conversation than watch someone
else engaged in those experiences.  This is easy to say with
conviction, yet I confess to being seduced by various dramas
on TV several hours a week.  It's too bad I can't more
completely enjoy that seduction without an inner struggle,
but I feel guilty for not being out in the real world in a
real struggle to accomplish something.  I confess to not
very often feeling relaxed and at peace.  It's difficult to
give myself a break and untangle the web of "danged if I do,
danged if I don't."

This Christmas my accomplishment will be to enjoy it.

Tom