TheBanyanTree: bang-bang-bang-bow-wow-wow-bang-bang-bang-bow-wow days

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Tue Dec 21 10:21:05 PST 2004

We are adding onto the house.  Workmen show up right after dawn, unload their
power tools, dig into the pile of material, and commence to work on the new
addition.

The pups, (five of them) wake at the first light and the noise, and HAVE to
go outside, RIGHT AWAY!!  Since they are different sizes, they get let out at
different shifts. Big dogs together (Pug and Jenny), who spend their time
stealing gloves and small hand tools and carrying them to the far corners of the
yard to be retrieved by workmen and myself.

The little dogs (two Chihuahuas and one 2 lb Havanese) go into the outside
pen, where they bark and piddle and bark and wrestle and bark.

The workmen hammer away, grunting as they lift another panel onto the new
frames, swearing when it slips or doesn't fit right, to the tune of
bark-bark-bark. Hammer-hammer-swear-shout, bark-bark, "bring that back you fool dog."

I would sleep in. The country air, the peace and quiet, the chirp of birds,
the call of the Sandhill Cranes, the wind in the pines, But no. It's
bark-bark-hammer-bang-bang, swear, shout, clang-bark-bark-bang-bang-.

In time we will have a new sun room with cathedral ceiling and an extended
bedroom. Now, we sleep in the living room (the only space large enough for the
king bed) It's handy, the coffee pot is an arm's length away, and I can see our
bedroom tv while I am washing the dishes.  Rather like living in a motel
room.  Except we have a dozen workmen stomping around outside.

I love the room already. But, right at this moment, while I am writing to
you, it's bang-bang-bark-bark-bark-bang-power saw whine-shout-bark-bang.

NancyLee