TheBanyanTree: Watching the Geminids

B Drummond redd_clay at bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 14 07:07:09 PST 2004

I stayed up and watched the Geminids last night.  We had excellent
meteorological conditions for it here.  A clear sky, no moon, and a
cold, relatively still night made for what were near ideal conditions.
It was not as active a night for meteors as I was hoping for though.

I didn't get a chance to start watching them until around midnight local
time. They were supposed to be near peak around that time for overhead
viewing.

We had a cold night (well, at least cold for us) with an overnight low
of around 28 degrees.  It is 29 degrees as I write this at 8:45 AM.

Because of the cold my plan was to lay out on the deck, pillow under my
head, quilt between the deck and, me and several blankets over me to
help keep my legs and feet warm. (Couldn't find the durn sleeping bag
that I know I have although I looked in all the usual places.)

My torso was kept warm by a down jacket and my hands protected by some
ski gloves.  On my head was a baseball cap.  I was comfortable for the
main part, but the cap didn't want to stay on my head while I laid down
with my head on the pillow. If I turned my head, off came the cap. What
I really needed was a knit "watch cap" like Kevin Spacey wore in "The
Shipping News".  That woulda' done the trick.

So I watched the skies for about an hour and a half, seeing some
excellent meteors, many super fast "blips", and about 6 or 7 quite
notable ones that crossed large parts of the sky, starting out faint,
then glowing brightly ever so briefly before finally disappearing.

This I read from CNN's website:

"Geminids typically encounter Earth at 22 miles per second (35
kilometers per second), roughly half the speed of a Leonid meteor. Many
Geminids are yellowish in hue. Some even appear to form jagged or
divided paths."

22 miles a second is 1320 miles a minute, which is almost 80,000 miles
an hour.  Imagine traveling that fast!  A passing jet appeared to be
standing still compared to the speed at which the meteors were traveling
last night. And these meteors are slow compared the Leonids typically
seen in August.  Those come screaming into our atmosphere at around
160,000 mph.

For me it was thrilling being outdoors in the late night, breathing in
fresh, albeit, freezing cold air, and oblivious to the cold by ample
clothing and cover.  It reminded me of camping along the Chipola river
as a teenager.  With those cold, clear winter nights, watching the
occasional meteor flash across the sky, going to sleep under a mound of
covers, warm, snug and so happy to be alive was I then.  It just seemed
that I felt more alive outdoors, that somewhere in the deepest part of
me that I belonged outdoors.

And last night I was reminded that I still do.

I still belong outdoors on cold, starry nights; watching meteors enter
our atmosphere and burn up in a hail of light and unbelievable speed,
breathing in frosty air, laying on my back and falling asleep under
those stars that remind me that I am not just a man, but a integral part
of an infinite universe, one that is so marvelous that it can never be
understood or explained fully.

   bd
    ---