TheBanyanTree: In Memoriam of Pappa John July 19, 2004

Bonnie Brace bonnie.brace at verizon.net
Tue Aug 3 11:15:59 PDT 2004

I had to take my daughter to Maryland last week to a funeral. It was the
funeral for her birth father  Pappa John or, as we found out during the
service, Long John for he was a tall man.  No matter what he was known as
the fact was he died and left behind a legacy.  Part of that legacy happens
to be my daughter.  Pappa John and Kari only had ten years together but they
were one filled with pleasant memories and no regrets. He came back into her
life when he decided to really quite drinking and follow the program and
what AA has to offer. He mended fences and wanted to reconnect with his
children. Kari was the last of his 3 children he needed to connect with and
the only one who had been adopted. We had always kept in contact with her
birth family so if they ever wanted to get in touch with ehr or vice versa
they could. During her growing up we would send pictures to one of her aunts
to whom she was a favorite neice. It was this aunt who keptthe whole family
informed. So when we were called that day asking if John could contact Kari,
we left it up to her. She was old enough to decide inspite of her handicap.
After much thought she decided she would like to hear from him and called
her aunt and said yes. Pappa John called within minutes and for the next ten
years there were calls, cards, visits. We all came to know and love John and
his sense of humor.

When he called to tell us this past Thanksgiving he was going in hospital
for surgery because they had discovered cancer we were concerned. But in
typical John style he was upbeat and encouraging to Kari.  John fought hard,
first surgery, then chemo, then radiation treatments.  The pain was great
and I know it was difficult for him. So much so that he became depressed and
started drinking again to help with the pain.  But through all of it he
still managed to call Kari and still managed to put on a good front.  For
all of Johns faults and short comings there is one thing that remains
constant. He did love his children and in the end he was able to have a
relationship with all 3 of them. Something he missed when they were younger.
I for one, am glad that John died knowing his wonderfully, sweet,
delightful, daughter.
The soul of man is immortal and imperishable.
~plato~
John Carroll O'Donnell
December 31, 1937 -July 19 2004

I didn't intend for this to be a story about John but about something
else...I guess that will have to be part 2...

The highest result of education is tolerance~~ Helen Keller~~
May your days and nights be filled with joy and laughter.