TheBanyanTree: Fruit Envy

Maria Gibson mgibson7 at nc.rr.com
Thu Aug 26 17:17:07 PDT 2004

I don't really care to drive somewhere I'm unfamiliar with but I did
find myself about a hundred miles away from home today.  The weather has
been so gorgeous, truly the best weather in August of my life.  Lowered
temps and lowered humidity; breezes on the cusp of sultry with just
enough dry air to make it seem as if you are running through long
unraveling and billowing bolts of silk.  I loved the chance to get out
onto the road and just run it wide open, about 80 mph with the rock
station kicked up several notches.  I leave my windows open about
halfway and run the air conditioning at the same time...it's a little
decadent.  It puts me in a mood to devour the world around me, leaving
it happy and spent.

He was absolutley drop dead gorgeous.  I stopped for gas and went in for
water and had the supreme advantage of being checked out behind one I
was checking out.  And, honestly, it was a lot more than the way he
looked.  Sure, he was take-your-breath-away handsome, very clean-cut.
Dark hair, blue eyes and a never-ending smile.  But, more than that, he
was confident.  He carried himself with a forward movement but without a
swagger.  He moved purposefully but not as if he was the only one
there.  He charmingly flirted with the girl checking him out (also
checking him out), casually paying for his gas and a pack of gum as he
ate an apple.

And that's what got to me.  The apple cinched the whole thing.  Firm
granny smith with shiny, bright green skin.  Bright white inside just
waiting for the teeth inside the beautiful smile to again bite into the
willing flesh.  He cupped it in his strong hand but without undue
pressure.  He was taking care of business and inviting the world around
him to be a part of his moment but it was the apple that had the very
best of him no matter what else was going on.

Lucky, lucky apple.

Maria