TheBanyanTree: The Flash is Gone

Margaret R. Kramer margaretkramer at comcast.net
Sun Aug 22 06:26:53 PDT 2004

It’s the weirdest feeling.  It starts from my heart area with a little
tingle and then suddenly shoots out to my arms and legs.  I’m boiling hot on
the inside and a sheen of sweat glistens on my body.  It’s like being dumped
into a hot tub for a split second with no warning.  Then it’s gone.  My body
temperature goes back to normal and the sweat dries up.

My hot flashes started to intensify about six months ago.  I couldn’t get
through the day without at least 50 or so episodes of extreme heat.  I
usually just rode them out.  They were more annoying than anything.  Every
once in a while I would have one that would make me feel like I was
suffocating.  I had to find a COLD place immediately!

The worse times were at night.  I’d be dreaming away when all of a sudden,
FLASH!  I’d roll around in the sheets, sweating like a pig, trying to get
any piece of material off my body.  My heart would be pounding.  I would be
wide awake.  Sometimes I couldn’t get back to sleep for a while.

I got used to sweating and not sleeping very well.  I figured that was the
way my life was going to be.

Then about two weeks ago, the flashes stopped.  And when the flashes
disappeared, my sleeping got better.  Maybe flashes and sleeping are linked
somehow.  I treasure my nights of uninterrupted dream-filled and relaxing
sleep.

I know from experience that the flashes will take short breaks and then
return.  But I’m hoping I’m done with them for good.  My doctor said that
they do go away eventually.  Oh, I hope so.  It’s great to get through the
day without being in a constant state of sweat.

The joys of getting old.  But I’d rather have the flashes than acne.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at comcast.net

http://www.polarispublications.com
Be a star!

http://www.bpwmn.org

If you break your neck, if you have nothing to eat, if your house is on
fire, then you got a problem.  Everything else is inconvenience.
~Robert Fulghum