TheBanyanTree: Charley

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Mon Aug 16 09:17:45 PDT 2004

Hurricane Charley was to come ashore in Tampa Bay, so St. Pete and much of
Tampa were evacuated, inluding the barrier islands (Keys) from Anna Maria to
Manasota to Venice, maybe Fort Myers.  With the catagory three hurricane taking
aim, the devastation would be total.  My little house on Siesta Key would take
the brunt, and even if I sold it n June, and it was someone else's concern, I
fretted and worried. I had too much history (and stuff still) there. It was
still my house even if the title belonged in another's pocket.

Well, Charley took an unexpected dive to the East north of Naples and Fort
Myers, coming right into Port Charlotte, flattening Punta Gorda and nearby
areas. Mobile home parks are junkyards, downtowns became rubble, neighborhoods are
city dumps and thousands are homeless.

Charley then roamed up through central Florida, toward where I just bought my
little farm.  But, there again, the powers that be looked after us.  The
hurricane, waning little, slammed into the small town of Arcadia.  People there
own nothing but piles of junk and are without power or water. My farm, a few
miles to the west, got only rain and enough wind to shake the trees loose of
Spanish Moss and small branches.

My prayers go to those who have to start over amidst the ruins. I think I'll
meander over to Arcadia and see if I can do something to help them.

NancyLee