TheBanyanTree: Rainy morning

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Tue Aug 3 13:46:40 PDT 2004

Rain again today.  The tiny horses were more than ready to come into their
stalls for oats and dry hay. Little Sabrina, the grey and white paint is
starting to show her pregnancy.  Champagne, the pale golden colt, dances beside his
mother and steals her oats from her. Talisman, tiny brown and white colt, lips
my fingers as I feed him bits of apple and dry his fuzzy coat with an old
towel.  And, Jazzy, the sassy one, whinnies impatiently and stamps for me to hurry
along with her breakfast. It is Jazzy I hitched to a neighbor's custom and
home-made cart, heavy and sturdy enough to carry her wheelchair-bound son last
week. The entire must have weighed a few hundred pounds, yet Jazzy, with all
her sturdy heart, tugged, grunted, and pulled the cart, giving the boy his first
ride in a pony cart. I forgive Jazzy her stubbornness, for she did her job
with astounding willingness and gentle going. I giver her roan coat an extra
brushing as she eats.

Rain pelts the barn's tin roof, yet over the sound I can hear the pigs
banging their dishes. The goat calls for me. He is standing on his hind legs in his
pen, watching me come along the aisle.  I mix the mess for the pigs, and they
greedily shlurp their meal. The goat, more dainty, takes the food from the
palm of my hand with her feathery touch. Lick-lick-lick, his whiskers brushing my
skin.

The cats come in. Lucy has caught something and brings me the scrap of fur as
a present. I thank her and tell her she's wonderful. Her hunting instinct
helps keep the critter population in the barn under control.  I give her food and
milk, and she purrs her thanks, and swats Michael, the big tom cat away as he
waits his turn.

I stand under the overhang and listen to the rain and the munching of my many
charges. The air is moist with the scent of them and the aroma of warm rain.

Someone once told me there are no animals in heaven, for they have no souls.
I believe that is not true. For heaven to me is a morning like this.

NancyLee