TheBanyanTree: A Brand New Car

Sharon Mack SMACK at berkshirecc.edu
Mon Apr 26 06:08:23 PDT 2004

Recently things had hit a lot of very low points in my life in a
relatively short time.

My son of 25 had two heart attacks and almost died, my grandson of 13
had a stint with drugs (overdosed), my family blew-up and were not
speaking to me and I didn't know why, my beloved assistant quit for a
full-time position at the college (not that I blame her, she was a
single mom with two young boys) and the one we hired was not very good
and quit this past Friday........and I had a major mental health
crisis.

But here is the GOOD news.

My son is currently in rehab and doing quite well.  At the end of the
12 weeks they will revisit the possibility of surgery.  He is active
again and driving and looking forward to his future.

My grandson and I have had a major bonding experience.  He is in
therapy and even though his phone privileges have been taken away, his
parents are allowing me a once a week phone call and his therapist
thinks it is helpful.  He will be with me this summer.

My family is back for the most part...all except one daughter but 3 out
of 4 ain't bad and I am grateful for the 3 that have reconciled with me.
 It turns out that it was them and NOT me which has helped a great deal
with the mental health issues.  The 4th is still a mystery but I am in
process of accepting the fact that it is not me but her issue.  My
youngest son will be returning August 15th to begin college (again),
this time committed to a degree.  It will be good to have him home.

As far as the assistant goes, I am glad things worked out this way as
it was not a good situation although we both tried.  She just did not
have the skills needed and I really don't mind, at this point, being
alone in the office once again.  In fact, I am rather enjoying it for
now.  I have asked my Board to wait a week before they begin a new
search.  I am liking the quiet and the space.

But the best news is.....I got a NEW CAR!!!  I couldn't go visit my son
(my oldest who had the heart attacks) because the car I had was on its
last leg.  I had started looking at used cars again when someone told me
that this really great sale was going on at one of the local dealers.  I
took a look and YES it was a good deal.  One that I could afford.  It
has a hatchback for the pups so traveling will be good for all of us.  I
am so thrilled.  It was so strange to see the mileage as I drove it off
the lot....2 miles!!!!

I am experiencing one of the greatest adventures of all.

I  picked up my new silver 2004 Hyundai Accent Friday afternoon.  It
is  the first new
car I have had since 1979, so to me this is exciting.

Then I picked up my dogs and we drove around doing the errands
and seeing the sights of home from the new , bright, clean windshield
(that they immediately smudged with their black, gumdrop noses).

If it stops raining and we get a sunny day soon,  I will open the
windows with my automatic buttons and they will stick out their little
heads and let their ears flap in
the breeze.

My hair will blow around my face and I will smile and enjoy my new
adventure!

All of the positive changes, plus my new therapist, have gone a long
way in getting me up to snuff, but the car was the icing on my
proverbial cake!