TheBanyanTree: Spring

Mark Funk MARK at arboretum.umn.edu
Fri Apr 16 06:28:55 PDT 2004

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul.
And sings the tune
Without the words,
and never stops at all. Emily Dickinson (1830 - 1886)
As I left for work this morning, the site of two small birds making a new nest in a hanging planter on our front porch, reminded me of the above poem.  To me spring brings the hope of new beginnings.

And the signs of spring are all around us, even here in the frozen north land of Minnesota.  Besides the birds, on my way to work, I saw people in shorts and shirt sleeves, green grass, newly transplanted pansies in full bloom, tulips with swelling bulbs, ready to bloom and much wildlife activity.

Later today I hope to make another visit to the area of the Arboretum where the magnolia are displayed.  Yesterday they appeared almost ready to bloom.  To me they are one of the most amazing sites of spring.

My heart swells with new hope.

Mark