TheBanyanTree: Whether Looming in the Distance

B Drummond red_clay at numail.org
Sat Apr 10 08:49:33 PDT 2004

Latest road trip had me in the heart of Gotham.

Flew into LaGuardia airport on Monday after being delayed inflight and
buffeted by very high winds around the airport.  It was one of those
"everyone on board gave the pilot and crew a good round of applause
upon landing the plane" kinda' flights.  The winds had the plane doing
more moves than James Brown in his prime on stage as we glided,
lurched, surged and shook around coming into the what always appears to
be too short'a runways that are found at LaGuardia.  And Gotham loomed
in the distance.

Tuesday had me in Queens.  Wednesday had me in Midtown, with a
claustrophobic crossing into Manhattan through the Midtown tunnel,
"straight across" from the Empire State building.  There just ain't no
place on earth like Manhattan, folks.  No place.  The skyline, the
streets, the people and the smells even are uniquely New York City.

And then afterward, late in the afternoon, back through the seemingly
ever narrowing walls of the tunnel again and into Queens. After the
tunnelling experience, up to Yonkers on Wednesday night, past Yankee
Stadium and up the fabled Bronx via the Major Deegan Expressway to my
night venue.

Thursday was spent in Yonkers and then a drive by Yankee Stadium again
as they played there season opener at the stadium there. Friday was
passed in eastern Long Island.

And then, upon leaving NY, as a first incidence after hundreds of
flights, the pilot headed us down the runway, poured the coal to the
engines and about halfway or so down the runway cut the power and hit
the brakes hard.

I seemed to be the only one on the plane that realized that something
about the takeoff wasn't normal.   This was a first for me.  An aborted
take off does NOT happen often on a commercial airline flight in our
neck of the woods.  I squirmed in my seat.

The pilot later told us as we screeched to a halt precariously close the
end of the runway and into the Long Island Sound, that he was warned of
a "generator malfunction" while attempting the takeoff and had to
abort.  He said that he was sure it was a minor problem though and
would taxi back to let the mechanics take a look.

After an hour plus delay we took off down the runway again, this time
successfully entering the wild blue yonder over the skies of Long
Island, and headed home.

I'm glad to be back from Gotham - whether it looms in the distance, or
up close and personal, I'm still awfully glad to be back from it.

  bd
   ----