TheBanyanTree: Merry Maids

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Sun Sep 28 07:44:33 PDT 2003

Re: To clean or not to clean:

I still clean my own house. Though now living with someone who is neat, there
is a certain amount of double-clutter, however how small. Two power
toothbrushes on the bathroom counter; two sets of dishes, coffee mugs, ice cream bowls
in the kitchen, two piles of mail-to-be-read/sorted/dealt with; two  .
.everything.

Still, it's not messy, only more cluttered. I clean as I go, picking up and
washing dirty dishes as they occur, unless one of us is in a hurry (which most
often happens). We each do our own laundry, since we're of an age to want to
do things our own way and laundry has its special needs. (Meaning, there are
two loads going out and in, to be folded and put away as our personal habits
dictate.)

I do the floors, sweeply, every other day due to long-haired dogs, and
vacuumly every week. It's mostly tile here, so a sweep or "Swifter" takes care of
that. Windows.  .ahh, yes, windows.  Salt spray spritzing over the dunes makes
windows foggy no matter how often I clean them. Sand being tracked in makes
floors gritty no matter how often I sweep. I dust as needed. I do bathrooms
weekly, three of them . .cause you never know when someone will come to visit. .
and stay . .. and stay.

Hire someone?

I know how much they charge around here. When my old neighbor was confined to
bed because of a bout with flu, I went and cleaned her house for her. I must
have done an okay job cause she wants me to do it on a regular basis. Do I
sell my precious time in spite of the good money?

Ponder, ponder. I rarely have spare moments for my writing and painting as it
is, and as for spending time with my loved ones .. . the money . .the time. I
juggle.

Money loses.

My most valuable asset is "time".

As my grandfather once said: "at the end of life, I've heard no one say they
wish they had spent more time at the office."

Let Merry Maids do it, and use your time for LIVING.

NancyLee