TheBanyanTree: Blah, blah, blah

Sachet sachet at iline.com
Sat Sep 27 08:09:08 PDT 2003

Margaret R. Kramer wrote:

>What is it with these cell phones?

I've been wondering the very same thing myself! I entertain thoughts of
how to get people to:

1) Not talk so close to me so that I have to hear every _single_ word
they say.
2) Talk more QUIETLY! Why do people yell? It's not a string with two cans!
3) Watch their foul language. Geesh! Like I want to hear vulgar gutter
slang when I am standing in line at the store?!?
4) Lower the volume on their ringer. 'Tis so intrusive to hear blaring
sounds from purses and pockets.

I guess I could keep a pad and pen with me and act like I am furiously
scribbling down every word they say. And if questioned, I could reply
that: "I don't want to miss any of this!"  and sweetly smile. That would
probably be highly entertaining, since it would make them nervous.
Or.....: "Well, since you are obviously not worried about privacy, I
thought I might learn something."  Or....."Your language is soooooooo
colorful. I just have to capture it for my English Comp class."

We need to start providing cell phone etiquette classes. It would be so
easy. When you see a gaggle of cell phone user's with phones pressed to
their ears, and voices rudely encroaching upon everyone around them;
just stand up and announce that you are glad they all brought their cell
phones and delighted they could all be there for your free cell phone
etiquette class.  Heck, make up a business card and hand them out. <g>
On the back you could put the four things listed above. Who knows, maybe
it would sink into a few cellular minds. We can but hope.

O:-)

...Sachet

Talk quietly and carry a small cell phone. That's my motto.