TheBanyanTree: Don't let the sun go down

John Bailey john at oldgreypoet.com
Tue Sep 30 02:45:03 PDT 2003

Monday September 29, 2003

DON'T LET THE SUN GO DOWN

I've been changing my routes one by one over the past few weeks, partly to
avoid driving through some of the dour villages and post-industrial
wastelands that lay across the more direct roads but mainly in pursuit of
open skies and green landscape. I'll drive some miles by a round-about
route to see an attractive stand of trees against the sky or to view a
sweep of hillside, drawing the eyes upwards.

I can't say it's been a campaign in response to a deliberate decision, just
a yearning for more open space than surrounds me when I look out of the
window here. Another item for the list of parameters when we get round to
house hunting next time.

                         * * * * *

The funeral took place today of an acquaintance from our time in Somerset,
not a close acquaintance, just someone we both knew from old times. Now,
it's always sad when someone dies. It's even sadder when they die young.
And, of course, it's ultimately sad when they leave behind people who are
going to find the loss especially difficult to cope with. No matter what
the circumstances, I feel deeply for those who are left behind.

But. The last time I saw this person, only a few weeks ago, she was busily
cutting me dead in the most theatrical fashion, acting on some minor slight
which either Graham or myself, or both of us, are deemed to have committed
against another member of her group a couple of years back. I can't say I
was much bothered by being cut dead in those circumstances but it must have
registered or I'd not be thinking of it now. I am not too proud of this
train of thought; I try to do better than that. But, let's be honest, when
someone cuts you dead for no good reason and then they up and die shortly
afterwards, suddenly and without warning, your immediate response to the
news is liable to be, well, shall we say, underwhelming?

Even so, I am saddened by the event, and wish it could have turned out
otherwise. The search for a moral here is not difficult -- 'Never let the
sun go down on a dispute'.

There's another one, too -- 'Life is not a rehearsal'. And another -- 'The
world is not a stage; stop acting'. I could go on but I won't; it's clear
enough to me that a situation that is riddled through and through with
homely axioms is one that's not been handled well.

--
John Bailey   Carmarthenshire, Wales
journal of a writing man